Horses vs cows

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer":138yyqkt said:
If a cow and a horse weigh equal amounts which one consumes the most grass?

Horse will pull the grass up by the roots, therefore killing the stand. And otherwise grazing the fields closer.

My vote is that horse pastures are harder to maintain because of that.

I know that horses are harder on the land than cattle so my votes with horses. Thanks Kaneranch

certherfbeef":1amo2dav said:
denoginnizer":1amo2dav said:
If a cow and a horse weigh equal amounts which one consumes the most grass?

Horse will pull the grass up by the roots, therefore killing the stand. And otherwise grazing the fields closer.

My vote is that horse pastures are harder to maintain because of that.

Amen to that, our nieghbor put 4 horses on a nice 4 to 5 acre piece this spring it is now mostly dirt. So is why we leave the pastures to the cattle and have half acre turnouts for the horses.

Alan

Horses clip off new growth of grass with upper & lower teeth. Cattle wrap little taller grass around their tongue, and "cut" and rip it out with their bottom teeth and upper hard pallet.

Use horses to "scalp" your lawn. Use cattle to "mow" your lawn...lol.

I ran 4 horses on a small tract and they ate everthing. Now I have cattle on it and got more grass than ever. They ate the weeds befor they could seed.

Scotty

Certified hereford :"And otherwise grazing the fields closer."

Runninbill: "Horses clip off new growth of grass with upper & lower teeth. Cattle wrap little taller grass around their tongue, and "cut" and rip it out with their bottom teeth and upper hard pallet. "

Both of you are right...good to see that some peopel actualy watch there stock graze....may seem like a waste of time to some folks...best time a stockman can ever spend..not enough real stockmen left any more

Latest posts