horses on haygrazer?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a field of haygrazer(sorghum/sudan hybrid) that I have had cattle grazing on. The cows had ate most of it but there was some still left. Today I shredded it all in anticipation of discing the field in a few weeks. Anyway in the meantime I was thinking of turning my horses out in the field as currently they are cooped up in a small corral and work has not given me much time to ride them. I know that the haygrazer is bad for them, but will it be ok now that it is shredded? I have a round bale of coastal that the horses have been eating and they will still have access to it.

My rule of thumb is "If in doubt, DON'T, cause you don't want to have to call the vet.
If this stuff is bad for them, then I'd just forego putting the horses on it, shredded or not.

hello ,all the info i have ever seen about sudan grass have said not to graze horses ,never fed them the hay either ,some type of acid in it that is not good for them,i am not an expert .if you know what type it is you might find it on the companies web site good luck

Very often sudan can be high in nitrates especially if you had a dry summer or was dry weather about the time of cutting the plant will be stressed do to the lack of moisture and draw nitrogen trying to grow. Stick with the bermuda its great feed for horses.

I have heard taht when it is green or johnsongrass (cousin to sudan) can sometimes cut the lining of the GI track. Never experienced it thatnk goodness. I wouldn't feed it. I think it would not be as good a hay as costal or grass hay. Alfalpha is good for horses. I think the high lignin content would be the factor in not feeding it to horses.

Scotty

I personally wouldn't feed any of the Sorgham species (esp. johnsongrass) to horses. Heck...we won't feed that stuff to our cattle!!

All of our animals get bermudagrass pasture, horse quality bermuda hay, and horses get some alfalfa hay.

Running Arrow Bill":2891n9j7 said:
I personally wouldn't feed any of the Sorgham species (esp. johnsongrass) to horses. Heck...we won't feed that stuff to our cattle!!

All of our animals get bermudagrass pasture, horse quality bermuda hay, and horses get some alfalfa hay.
Running bill sounds like youve got a bunch of spoilt stock around your place! LOL You really feed horse quality hay to your cattle???? You know what a ruminant is right???? To me ruminant means low quality roughage...that is there place in the food chain. LOL

I let my horses decide on there own menus under range conditions. The ones in the horse barn always like what they get to...if they dont like it the first few days they will sure as heck love it by the time the week is out!!LOL

tapeworm":3gvpkya0 said:
Running Arrow Bill":3gvpkya0 said:

Running bill sounds like youve got a bunch of spoilt stock around your place! LOL You really feed horse quality hay to your cattle???? You know what a ruminant is right???? To me ruminant means low quality roughage...that is there place in the food chain. LOL

I let my horses decide on there own menus under range conditions. The ones in the horse barn always like what they get to...if they dont like it the first few days they will sure as heck love it by the time the week is out!!LOL

Tapeworm...some enlightening words here...lol:

1. We're buying semi-loads of #1 horse quality bermuda for the SAME price we can get the trashy Haygrazer, Redtop Cane, and Peanut Hay for locally. The horse quality bermuda is about 10-12% protein; the trashy stuff is about 5-8% protein...you run the numbers!

2. Yes, suppose our livestock are spoiled...however, NO sickness or other natural problems with any of them.

3. We're raising registered stock sold 99% via private treaty. All of our customers have been very pleased with our stock.

4. No, we don't pamper our horses. Just ensure they have a quality diet (pasture, hay, minerals, etc.).

5. No, we haven't lost one calf to date (except one that was a rare breech birth to a young cow we had recently bought back then). And, no we haven't had to pull a single calf (and don't ever expect to) with our Longhorns.

;-) :cboy:

Running Arrow Bill":df7tphrd said:
Tapeworm...some enlightening words here...lol:

1. We're buying semi-loads of #1 horse quality bermuda for the SAME price we can get the trashy Haygrazer, Redtop Cane, and Peanut Hay for locally. The horse quality bermuda is about 10-12% protein; the trashy stuff is about 5-8% protein...you run the numbers!

2. Yes, suppose our livestock are spoiled...however, NO sickness or other natural problems with any of them.

3. We're raising registered stock sold 99% via private treaty. All of our customers have been very pleased with our stock.

4. No, we don't pamper our horses. Just ensure they have a quality diet (pasture, hay, minerals, etc.).

5. No, we haven't lost one calf to date (except one that was a rare breech birth to a young cow we had recently bought back then). And, no we haven't had to pull a single calf (and don't ever expect to) with our Longhorns.

;-) :cboy:
Always a help to get enlightening words Running Bill. Looked at your website....I will try to make my operation a mirror image of yours. Thank you for your encouragement...I may be in touch with you about some of your fine stock

I would not pasture off sedan to horses. Sedan is a cousin if you will to Fescue. Fescue is very high in nitrates and minerals and can cause founder in some cases. Moreover Fescue is bad on the horses throat, intestines, colon, and everything because it is a rough grass. If the Sedan is still green don't even let that thought cross your mind again. Unless you stick a round bale of prairie hay or Bermuda out there and make damn sure they always have access to it so that will keep them "dry" and from getting the shits. I don't know it sounds a little risky to me. One of our neighbors pastures off some of his horses to Winter Wheat which is not smart. He has had 1 horse founder and the damn Coffin Bone in the hoof rotated approx 28 degrees and he has to trim once a week now for a while anyway.

Latest posts