horses on coastal grass

Help Support CattleToday:

bman4523

Reaction score
I am buying some land near Abilene Texas (bout 100 acres) that is mostly Coastal bermuda. The place is looking alright with the rain it got a couple weeks back. Would like to turn out one horse onto the place and let her free roam until spring when I can get back (currently live outside the area) There is water available and the place hasnt been grazed in over a year. Do you think a horse would get along OK solo on a fenced spread like that over the winter in terms of feed?

Yikes, I guess some would be okay, but I'd have concerns about hoof trimming, deworming, accidents, are you positive about the water access, theft (not that many people are stealing horses these days, it's quite the opposite). You're talking 6 months without any supervision? If I cared about the animal, I wouldn't do it.

if it were anybodies horse but mine, id say yes it would be fine,,, mine would get hurt the first hour after turn out................domestic horses need alot more attention

The nutrients in that coastal will go to the root system soon. The horse won't get much nurtrition (if any) throughout the winter. Have someone bale it on the halves (capture the nutrients in the grass) and feed it.

Aint no way I would leave a horse in that situation for that length of time. Many folks do far worse than that tho.

Gale Seddon":2odlhvg4 said:
Yikes, I guess some would be okay, but I'd have concerns about hoof trimming, deworming, accidents, are you positive about the water access, theft (not that many people are stealing horses these days, it's quite the opposite). You're talking 6 months without any supervision? If I cared about the animal, I wouldn't do it.
This is what I'm thinking as well. As far as the grass sustaining the horse, it really depends on the horse, I have an 11 year old paint that stands 16 hands and stays fat on what seems like a blade of grass per day. He needs no supplement at all, my other horses are a different story in winter.

backhoeboogie":2xejnoja said:
The nutrients in that coastal will go to the root system soon. The horse won't get much nurtrition (if any) throughout the winter. Have someone bale it on the halves (capture the nutrients in the grass) and feed it.

Aint no way I would leave a horse in that situation for that length of time. Many folks do far worse than that tho.
id hate to cut a good stand of coastal this late in the season..

As far as having plenty to eat, I would think the horse should be fine on 100 acres of grass and plenty of water. The only thing I would worry about is injury or sickness. Things can happen pretty quick and if no one is there to care for the animal, then you could come back to a pile of bones.

Latest posts