Horses laying down

Help Support CattleToday:

RoptCwGrl

Reaction score
5layingdown.jpg

Hi there....I was wondering if anyone had ever seen anything like this...5 out of our 6 horses were just resting this morning. You can barely see the baby in the back, but he's the white spot laying behind my black mare on the left. His mama wasn't even close to him at the time. The two sons (Rebel the white spot, and Renegade the black horse with the white socks) are laying down with their Dad, the black and white paint. The only thing we can figure is they feel REALLY comfortable and know that nothing can get them. I've just never seen this many horses resting like this at once.

Let me know your thoughts!!

Thanks,
Jeannine

I have never seen anything like that either, but without additonal information I would say its hot and go with what your Dad said.

I had four horses here up until 2 months ago (now have 5). It wasn't at all uncommon to see all of them laying down. Now it's just the gelding I'm leasing who lays down for the most part...and I figure that's because of his age...21.

i've got 32 horses right now and most of the time i'll walk outside and see about half of them laying down...they eat some, get full then just find a nice spot to lay down and rest...they get tired just like humans...they need rest

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't worried about something being wrong, I just had never seen it before :lol:

horses take siestas. seems like mares and younger horses do it more though. they enjoy laying in the sun. some will even lay in the stalls.

Beefy":h6esqdrz said:
horses take siestas. seems like mares and younger horses do it more though. they enjoy laying in the sun. some will even lay in the stalls.

siestas?...sounds like some mexican word...what's it mean?....something like taking a nap?

Heritage_Farmboy":rzfn0gcs said:
Beefy":rzfn0gcs said:

siestas?...sounds like some mexican word...what's it mean?....something like taking a nap?
yep. a siesta is a nap.

Like cattle they are herd animals, if they are together, one lays all lay. nothing to worry about unless one is rolling all the time.

Alan

Alan":mpx504gg said:
Like cattle they are herd animals, if they are together, one lays all lay. nothing to worry about unless one is rolling all the time.

Alan

they usually kick one out and make him keep watch while they just take a nice long rest :lol: ...with my horses...it's always the exact same horse...must be at the bottom of the picking order :)

seen this a lot with horses, My dad used to say it is the dew on the grass cools them in the hot morning heat. they like us and any animal like to rest, unless it is kicking and rolling exesively no need to worry.

Latest posts