Horses being killed

Help Support CattleToday:

Just_a_girl

Reaction score
The other day someone told me that several horses in pastures along highways were shot here in NE Texas. I was also told that none of the horses survived. :(

My horses are not in a pasture along the highway, but are visible from the highway. Two different nights, I have heard had shots in the distance. My horses are fine, but I can't sleep!

I don't understand what is wrong with people. :roll:

Road hunters most likley.They spotlight eyes and shoot at the eyes usually at deer they think.The sheriff is usually worthless in these cases you need to have the Game Warden in Tx.In Ok Game Ranger on it.Call him and tell him what is going .We have had it happen around here and it is usless to call the sheriff.They don't have eneough guts to go after any one that might shoot back.And some people are just sorry SOB's they need to be stopped.Call the Game Warden where you live.Be under Fish and Game.Might just set up some where and shoot back.

Every hunting season up here, people have cattle and horses shot. Bunch of drunken jerks! I make sure my cattle are in the back pastures and my horses are always in by dusk.

I'm with Clampitt on the cops, most seem pretty worthless when it comes to a real dangerous situation. A few years back, my wife took me to the airport, when she got back she could see we had someone break into our place, it was trashed. She called the police and asked them to come out. The first response on the phone from the sherrif was for her to go inside and see if anyone was still there.... make sure you look under the beds!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: . She, of course said no she would wait at the end of the drive for the sheriff. We live about 15 minutes from town.... 2 and 1/2 hours later someone showed up and looked for no evidence, finger prints etc. They took no evidence at all. Worthless. :mad: :mad:

now alan, don't be so quick to rush to judgement on those folks. they were probably busy writing seat belt tickets or setting up a speed trap in the middle of nowhere. you know, important stuff to keep us safe. :roll:

I know of 3 different instances here where horse were shot just in the last few months. But they were shot by the owners. But it is hard to sale horses arround here anymore. There are always people advertiseing them on the radio and classifieds anymore.

I had a man the other day try to get me to shoot a horse for him and i would not do it. This picticular horse is foundered. It would probably be more humain to go ahead and shoot it but, i just can not do it. I own horses myself and have a couple i would like to sale but, anymore you can not even count on getting the money it takes in fuel and barn fees that it cost to run them through the auction. And to they might now even sale then you have another $100 tied up in them.

I would not rule out the possibility that the horses you were told about was maybe shot just to dispose of them by the owner. Since this new law was passed where horses can not be sold for slaughter. There will probably be more horses found that was taken out and shot. Just like people do unwanted dogs.

I just remembered while typing this about finding the decaying carcuse of a horse while looking at so property for sale about a month ago.

I had to leave a for the Game Warden. I actually know him and his wife, they were two grades ahead of me in school. He may or may not remember me, it has been a few years since we all graduated.

I guess the person who shot those horses had to be both drunk and blind. The horses at the 2 different locations are in wide open pastures, not hardly any trees at all. One horse that was shot was on a ranch with many other horses, and the other horses were in a large pasture, where the owner's house is back up on the property behind the horses. Both locations are not too far from where I live.

I prefer my animals to be behind the house on the land, and the horses put up at night.

Being married to a cop and knowing ALL of the cops in our area I have to be offended by the blanket assumption that they do not care. Around here we have 1 officer for every 25 miles of city. they do the best they can. Before you assume negligence find out some facts. Our officers are just as frustrated with the service they can provide as the citizens are. Its all in the money. The city cannot afford what they need, the people do not want to pay more taxes and the officers cannot keep up with the volume. And that is assuming that the department is fully staffed. Seldom is. Again because the city cannot pay what the larger municipalities can. Most cops I know want to help and do everything they can to get the job done.

hraz":1gvu7yqg said:
Being married to a cop and knowing ALL of the cops in our area I have to be offended by the blanket assumption that they do not care. Around here we have 1 officer for every 25 miles of city. they do the best they can. Before you assume negligence find out some facts. Our officers are just as frustrated with the service they can provide as the citizens are. Its all in the money. The city cannot afford what they need, the people do not want to pay more taxes and the officers cannot keep up with the volume. And that is assuming that the department is fully staffed. Seldom is. Again because the city cannot pay what the larger municipalities can. Most cops I know want to help and do everything they can to get the job done.

Would your spouse tell a lady to go inside her ransacked house and check under the bed for any meth head that might still be there?

I doubt he/she would, but they did tell my wife that, so I have very little respect for or county or local police. They choose that line of work, all I ask is to do the job and don't give dumb advice. It's not just the one item that made me lose respect for them but this is all I need to say. I have a great amount of respect still for our state troopers. At least they have to look like cops, physical requirements.

Nuff said,
Alan

Chances are the dispatcher told your wife to do such a stupid thing. Our cops are great here. The dispatchers are idiots. The dispatchers are seldom police officers and from what I have seen do not recieve common sense training.

I read the remarks about the sherrifs department and it makes me think of a incident a few weeks ago.
A car drove away with out paying for the gas. An officer spotted the car and tried to pull it over. They laid out stop sticks and the car stopped. The person inside of the car then shot at both officers, they did not return fire. The car drove off, but stopped again and fired two more shots this time the officers returned fire hitting the person (according to reports) 13-15 times.
The car was stolen along with the shot gun and gas. The person was a 13 year old kid.
These officers were in the middle of no where late at night 12 am-1am and were being shot at, they are now being critized by people who do not know that area for following protocal. These are some great guys. I know because we fight fires and respond to medical emergencies together.
Remember one thing. Each area is different and down where you are sometimes the criminals are better armed then the law officers.
By the way one more thing. I know a guy who had a prized heifer shot along the highway and choice pieces of meat were taken and the rest was left to rot. These shootings are everywhere and we all need to be aware what is going on around us.

i had what i thought was a good friend get kinda topsy one night and decided that it would be "fun" to go out and shoot a cow. :mad: i wanted to slap her. she has no idea how much she just made that farmer lose. nothing makes my blood boil more when something like this happens. if i were you my horses would be in a barn or something. i hope that they stay safe.

Latest posts