horseflies

Help Support CattleToday:

HEREFORD ROADHOG

Reaction score
It seems that here in Ohio the horseflies are worse aroud the cattle this summer . Has anyone else noticed a increase in their numbers ? :cboy:

I haven;t seen many this year. The few I've seen are in strange places, rarely around the cows. Usually in the house or truck, at the local feedstore, even saw one in the grocery store yesterday

Yeah, I'm seeing more than I'm accustomed to, down here in KY. They seem to like my lighter-colored cows best - or, it may just be that I can see the blood running down from their feeding sites better on the gray/brown/red cows than on the black ones.

we've been seeing larger flies than in the past; big black ones about an inch long that zero in on the neck and withers of the stock, and occaisionally us. the normal housefly types haven't been as prevalent this year, but the blood sucking types are definitely here in greater numbers than before.

Worse here in this part of MN this year. We are a lot wetter and warmer than the past few summers and all those pesky flying insects are a lot worse.

We've had them real bad this year, too. Two kinds, one that looks like a house fly on steroids and another black variety that is even bigger. They don't breed in manure like most flies. They need a marshy or swampy area and we have a lot of that around due to all the moisture this year. We have a rub out but the chemical didn't seem to repel the horseflies. Somebody told my husband to spray the cattle with a mixture of vanilla and water. He did it, but he got artificial vanilla instead of pure vanilla extract because of the cost. I can't tell any difference but it has been so freakin hot I haven't spent much time outside counting flies either. I was afraid the sweet smelling vanilla would actually attract more flies but that didn't seem to be the case. Anybody else heard of this?

Lucky_P":32ci3ufa said:
Yeah, I'm seeing more than I'm accustomed to, down here in KY. They seem to like my lighter-colored cows best - or, it may just be that I can see the blood running down from their feeding sites better on the gray/brown/red cows than on the black ones.
They are bad here near Bowling Green, Lucky what part of Ky are you in?

The horseflies are lot worse here in West Tennessee. The numbers have increased dramatically. If you go down a dusty road, the dust makes them show up and in your mirrors you can see hundreds of them swirling in the air behind you. They are even at my Mother's house, and she has no livestock.

Seems the numbers of the birds would be increase since there is so much food to eat now. I do wish I had the barn swallows in the barn this year. I had the doors shut prior to the cows arriving several weeks ago. Seems they might eat the ones flying around, landing on the ceiling and walls.

Many years ago, when I had horses, I remember seeing the little horseflies that were small, and their eyes were green striped. They must not care the taste of cow. Are they still around?
Chuckie

ashiqur":pdywzvri said:
Mix some Teatree oil with another oil (as Teatree oil is expensive), say cooking oil. Soak some strips of rags in the mixture and tie these to plants, trees, pots, chairs or anywhere.

This will keep away horseflies, mosquitoes and nearly all flying/biting insects.

Try it, it's brilliant stuff! Also if you smear some around your window sills, it keeps the flies out. Hope this helps,

Ps you might have to 'reload' the rags if it rains too heavily but being oil, it doesn't wash away to quickly.
What about the cattle?? That's what they're biting.

Flies in general seem to be bad here, can't say horseflies are worse than any other year. That is one area I need to get much better at, because what I am doing is not working.

Latest posts