Horseflies on my cows

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was hoping someone could give me a tip on controlling horseflies. I have no horses myself, but a neighboring pasture has several. Dusting doesn't seem to help at all. Any ideas would be appreciated.

[email protected]

> I was hoping someone could give me
> a tip on controlling horseflies. I
> have no horses myself, but a
> neighboring pasture has several.
> Dusting doesn't seem to help at
> all. Any ideas would be
> appreciated.

I also have a few horseflies on my cows but since they are Scotch. Highlands they dont bother them because they can't get through their fur. I would try a spray or a rub with some kind of spray soaked into it.

probably a 1000 posts about this on the board but they all seem to be several years old...........

is there something new (or old) that will help repel or kill horseflies?? they really seem to torture our small herd and I'm sure they will finally drive them crazy......

also is there any reason to NOT feed cows cucumbers??? not in big quantities.......just a few along.....they seem to love them as much as apples...

thanks for any help with this..

Johnny

Yes... go to your local feed store and buy fly spray. I spray my cows twice a week in the summer, and it helps dramatically. , Get some range cubes or loose feed and put it in a bunk, and spray them while they're eating. It won't take long for them to not care about the spraying.