Horseflesh to cheep

Help Support CattleToday:

I spoke with my vet about this the other day (he does all of the stockyard tests). He is telling me that top dollar on a horse at the local stockyard is $20.00, if anyone will pay that.

Seems that horses can no longer be used for a variety of things, including dogfood, so the market is flooded. In times past, you could "send one to the glue factory", but some of the new "feel good" legislation that has been passed has destroyed the market for wore out horses.

My vet told me that it's bad now, but going to get worse unless the government un-does some of the legislation that has been written..

My wife has been wanting a horse since she came to Texas almost 8 years ago.Been a many years back since I had a horse
so maybe now.It may be a good time to give one a home.If I could find one looks close to Hildago or maybe an Appo.It's got a new home.Since I don't want to breed any,would want a gelding.Who I need to contact or where to go look at some?I see adoption every year.Yeah I know it rips my heart out what has happening to the wild horses for so many years.I can't help all of them but at least give one a good home.Anyone selling red mules?

Brahma Bull":e25dzt8j said:
My wife has been wanting a horse since she came to Texas almost 8 years ago.Been a many years back since I had a horse
so maybe now.It may be a good time to give one a home.If I could find one looks close to Hildago or maybe an Appo.It's got a new home.Since I don't want to breed any,would want a gelding.Who I need to contact or where to go look at some?I see adoption every year.Yeah I know it rips my heart out what has happening to the wild horses for so many years.I can't help all of them but at least give one a good home.Anyone selling red mules?

This one is in Joshua, TX
http://www.northtexashorse.com/index.html

This one is in Houston, TX
http://www.texashorse.org/

Thanks ever so much Alice.I owe you one now.Wow I fell in love with Paint Brush but think she is already sold.But I am sure there are plenty more like her that need a good home.Might have to get 2,one for my wife and one for me.Well all I can say is my heart and support goes out to the folks running the adoption/rescue org.To me the wild horse is a true spirit of freedom here in America.

Brahma Bull":1rm1gxze said:
Thanks ever so much Alice.I owe you one now.Wow I fell in love with Paint Brush but think she is already sold.But I am sure there are plenty more like her that need a good home.Might have to get 2,one for my wife and one for me.Well all I can say is my heart and support goes out to the folks running the adoption/rescue org.To me the wild horse is a true spirit of freedom here in America.

I can understand you liking the looks and sound of Paint Brush.

I'm closer to Joshua, TX, and I intend to get over there sometime next week. There are a couple of horses that I'd like to look at.

Alice

Yeah your right on that.Better to get one already trained and ready to ride.Just add feed and some TLC,good home.I want one that says War Paint when you look at it.Then for cowboy action,sure enough look good.

Running Arrow Bill":vqihluk3 said:
Haven't horse people caught on to the concept of:

SPAY AND NEUTER?

I know...I know...they're not dogs and cats...

I do not believe it's entirely the horse people - I see a lot of run of the mill people who either don't have a clue, or else believe they have so much knowledge that they are going to breed a horse that will sell for thousands, regardless of the fact that the horse market is in the toilet. As far as the rest of your statement - no, they are not dogs and cats, but people can make the choice to not breed. That would sure help to stop the influx of horses into a non-existant(sp?) market. ;-)

Up here in Iowa the horse market is very slow. Last April we took an 8 yr old well broke mare who could work cattle, neck rein, spin, flying lead change, the whole nine and we were very happy to get $1800 for her. We also took a weanling gelding that we no saled at $100. We brought him home and he's still for sale and I'll start him under saddle in the spring. It seems that well broke saddle horses are marginal, but weanlings and yearlings are crap and older horses are crap right now. At that same sale there was a well broke ranch gelding there that sold for $900, I thought the guy was going to cry. He no saled him, but was contacted after the sale and ended up selling him. It definitely is a buyers market right now.

ArrowHBrand":2r4ah424 said:
Up here in Iowa the horse market is very slow. Last April we took an 8 yr old well broke mare who could work cattle, neck rein, spin, flying lead change, the whole nine and we were very happy to get $1800 for her. We also took a weanling gelding that we no saled at $100. We brought him home and he's still for sale and I'll start him under saddle in the spring. It seems that well broke saddle horses are marginal, but weanlings and yearlings are crap and older horses are crap right now. At that same sale there was a well broke ranch gelding there that sold for $900, I thought the guy was going to cry. He no saled him, but was contacted after the sale and ended up selling him. It definitely is a buyers market right now.
Well shopping around on the internet,I see some breeders and in the classified they still asking some prime prices.Seems like if the prices of horses are now dirt cheap,a buyers market.They ought to be throwing in a saddle/blanket/bit and few bags of feed.If not they will have a long wait to sell like the current housing market.It's only a matter of time before the horse will eat up it's net worth even the high dollar registered ones.Guess they hope the market will rebound soon or find a buyer that isn't aware of the current prices.You got that right about the seller almost wants to cry,been there too with cows.Crying 5 gallon bucket size tears.

I been looking for a horse in the La grange area no luck so far , many horse's out there, I dont have time or energy to be breaking a horse out. :) lol I heard they have a horse sale in schlunberg just not sure on the dates yet.

Read in a paper recently that a rancher went out in his pasture and found several horses that had been turned in with his. What is scarey is you never know their vaccine history or where they came from.

Had looked at a horse about 2-3 years ago. Nice older Quarter Horse gelding. I think he was 12 or 13 years old. You could ride this horse with just a halter and a lead rope bareback. The only thing wrong with him was a bowed tendon. I wanted him for my son to learn to ride on. He went for $3500.00
Husband had said no to the amount. Wonder what he would bring today. Been seeing kids horses listed in the paper for $1200-$1800.

Brahma Bull":36kb8kjh said:
ArrowHBrand":36kb8kjh said:
Well shopping around on the internet,I see some breeders and in the classified they still asking some prime prices.Seems like if the prices of horses are now dirt cheap,a buyers market.They ought to be throwing in a saddle/blanket/bit and few bags of feed.If not they will have a long wait to sell like the current housing market.It's only a matter of time before the horse will eat up it's net worth even the high dollar registered ones.Guess they hope the market will rebound soon or find a buyer that isn't aware of the current prices.You got that right about the seller almost wants to cry,been there too with cows.Crying 5 gallon bucket size tears.
I've been there with cows too and just like cattle the market came back around. Yeah, I seem them everywhere also, those people who don't realize how soft the horse market is right now. I was on the Internet last week and actually came across a site that had their horses priced right witht he current market trend. It was just so surprising.