horse worming

Help Support CattleToday:

We worm every 3-4 months. Rotate between Ivermectin and Exodus. Exodus is the "generic" brand of Pyrantel Paomate.

We used quest, strongid, and other brand names in past. Way too expensive. Buy ours in carton/case lots from Valley Vet.

Thanks, Bill.

We do worm quarterly, yet we just acquired another horse (dear God), and are worried that it hasn't been wormed in a very long while or in a timely manner.

We wormed him with Ivermectin and wonder if we should reworm him sooner and if it would harm him if we did. I noticed today that there was bot larvae in his poop.

I guess, the bottom line is...maybe we should ask the vet...but when we took him in for vaccinations nothing was said about it and taking him back in...oy vey.

I've probably answered my own question.

Alice

Alice,

I dont think all wormers will kill bots, ziemetricine gold will get them though. And you might consider having it tube wormed the first time arround if it looks bad wormy.

Stepper":37l74mwu said:
Alice,

I dont think all wormers will kill bots, ziemetricine gold will get them though. And you might consider having it tube wormed the first time arround if it looks bad wormy.

Thanks much, Stepper...we will definitely look into that. :)

Alice

Rotate quarterly with ivermectin and pyrantal. Strongid
2X daily wormer. That stuff is great! I have improved feed
efficiency, better haircoats, decreased hoof problems. My
fecals are negative. :)

We rotate wormers between pyrantel pamoate and ivermectin, and worm every six weeks. It's easy to remember because we always worm when the farrier comes.

Alice you might want to think about doing a PowerPak with fenbendazole. That's five days everyday. We do all of ours every spring. Other then that we go every three month on pasture horse and every six weeks on anythin that is being kept up close.

As far as types go we use the cattle versions most of the time. Ivermec injectable given orally is the same thing and the same dosage as Ivermectin paste and is about half the cost per dose. For the PowerPaks we use Safe Guard Cattle Wormer. It works out to be about 1/3 the cost of the equine version the Vets love to sell. We order ours from Valley Vet.

Of course the best part with the liquids is that all you have to do is squirt it on their feed and walk off. :D Z

Ahhhh, I'm liking this better all the time...squirt it on the feed...less cost. :)

Thanks, Zack

Alice

This is a good basic rotation for adult horses

February: Ivermectin or Quest

April: Strongid or Anthelcide

June: Ivermectin:

August: Strongid or Anthelcide

October: Ivermectin/Praziquantal or Quest/Praziqauntal

December: Stongid or Anthelcide

Print it out and put in on your fridge! ;-)

Latest posts