Horse Won't Lope

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Girl

Reaction score
Ok, her is the deal. I have a 6 year old Appaloosa mare that I have had for, ah, about 5-6 months now. When I went to look at her to see if I wanted to buy her, I rode her of course. She loped fine, on both leads when I asked her to. I bought her and brought her home, letting her settle in for about a week. I rode her in the pasture, just at a walk. I have a 50 foot round pen that I worked her in. She loped fine in there on both leads. I first rode her in the round pen and asked her to lope. She loped a lap then all of a sudden stopped. Then I'd squeeze and smooch to make her go and she wouldn't. I rode her in the pasture, asking her to lope. Same thing happened. Last thing I did was I took her to my local rodeo arena and rode her there. She loped like 5 laps around a, say, 150 foot arena, then she quit. I couldn't get her to lope on the other lead or lope at all after that. What could her problem be and what could I do to fix it?

You probably made the horse bulky, that is the horse is leanin against your aids, too heavy of a seat and legs on too much, just like their fly shacker muscel response where they twitch against pressure, your horses is leaning agianst too much constant pressure. You need to get the lunge line out and whip and use your voice to tune the horse up, separate your aids so the horse has time to associate the whip with the voice, then get on and ride the same way with a whip, use your voice, then whip, then spur.
Don't listen to that other guy, I have a 30 year appy that I have had since the day he was born and can still work cattle off of.

Angus Cattle Girl;

If the horse isn't off or lame then she is playing games with you.

1~First you ask her
2~Second time you tell her
3~Now you make her

You may also check your saddle fit, make sure it is not pinching on her shoulder, or setting on her back badly.

If it is fine, do as the previous post said:

1~First you ask her
2~Second time you tell her
3~Now you make her

Try a riding crop.

Alan

Alan":2l7ob3w6 said:
You may also check your saddle fit, make sure it is not pinching on her shoulder, or setting on her back badly.

Alan

Boy Alan, I'm right there with ya. My first thought on this was saddle fit and placement. I've found that if its too far forward and/or pinching their shoulders/girth/withers, they try in every way possible to tell you it just ain't right.

Just had anothert thought too....my Paint gelding was doing this the other day. Stopping for what appeared to be no reason. Just wasn't like him at all. Turns out he had to tee tee, and finally figured out that if he started to do it, I wouldn't push him forward. Once he did that, he was good to go. ha! No pun intended! :)

The saddle might be a problem. But when I rode her when I was deciding if I wanted to buy her or not, I used the same saddle. Maybe she was like, "ok, just this once." I don't know, but it's getting frustrating for me.

I wouldn't agree with getting a whip out. Check out vet issues, maybe stiff on one side, saddle and all tack on both sides. mayne its sore for her on canter? If so a whip won't solve the problem. Once all vet reasons ruled out, when she won't lope, make it easier and ask her to lopr somewhere she wants to go. If she doesn't lope there, she's not just being awkward, there's probably a medical issue somewhere.

Good luck and no horse is a bad colour.
:)

If she was being ridden by a pro and you;re not a pro
I agree with Hayray-- you are confusing her.
and I agree with his idea of teaching her voice commands- then just use them to reasure her when lopeing till she ignores your seat and legs and make sure you throw her head away- for now.

If not -- I agree --shes jerking you around-- tell her to lope and if she stops on her own make her regret it.

But I'd give her the benefit of the doubt and go with the first one.

Not likely but It still could be the saddle too-- the first time you rode her the saddle wouldn't have started to bother her yet-- takes time to sensitise the area. Think of a pair of shoes that don't fit right. Can wear them that first day but the next days are hell.
Wouldn't hurt to borrow a saddle just to rule it out.

Sounds to me like the horse has your number. She will lope if and when she wants to. A new place might be exciting enough to make her lope a bit, then she is tired of working. I would have a pro ride her and see if they can make her lope. If the horse doesn't give in and lope easily, then I would look for a medical problem.

She may have some heart or lung/airway problem that limits her ability to work. If it is worse at home than away it may be an alergy. (Or she could be excited to get away from home and show more energy.) If you didn't buy her from the most reputable breeder, they may have been maintaining her on some meds to keep her problem under control until they got her sold.

If you did buy her from a reputable trainer/breeder, it wouldn't hurt to call them out to solve the problem. I little ride on the horse to get her going again, and a few lessons for you to show you how to make her work may be all it takes.

Try riding her in a treeless saddle or with just a bareback pad. That was you'll know if it's a saddle fitting issue. I'd definately check for soreness as well. Does she stop after she's turned in one certain direction? Try and figure out what she was doing before she stopped. If all medical and saddle fitting issues are ok, then do like dougle said. See if she will lope going somewhere she likes. If not then a riding crop is a good tool. You don't have to beat her with it. Just tap her on the hip or just behind the withers, lightly at first, gradually getting harder until she moves off at the speed you want. Eventually she'll understand.
For some more great help, go to http://www.nchorsenews.com
and click on message board. There are tons of great people there and some trainers that will help you with any horsey problems.

Good luck.