Horse vaccinations?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Is it "really" necessary to booster west Nile, flu, and tetnus every year? I think rabies is every 3, but I honestly can't remember off the top of my head. I know it all adds up quick if you have a few head.

Great question, we haven't vaccine for west Nile in years, not since we called the state about a crow who we saw fall out of a tree dead, he said west Nile is "controlled". So far so good, but I'm curious about it.

The total for my boosters was $89.50 per horse. Rabies is annual, I checked. That total didn't include strangles. I probably should have done strangles, but I was a child the last time I saw a horse with strangles. It just seems like over kill to me, to booster every year.

It use to be horses were required to have strangles to be in an event, may have changed though. I haven't shown in years

Bigfoot":rv4457rj said:
The total for my boosters was $89.50 per horse. Rabies is annual, I checked. That total didn't include strangles. I probably should have done strangles, but I was a child the last time I saw a horse with strangles. It just seems like over kill to me, to booster every year.

That's just a drop in the bucket for all you rich horse folks. I bet the Indians never had to booster their horse's.

highgrit":2w57w6rl said:
Bigfoot":2w57w6rl said:

That's just a drop in the bucket for all you rich horse folks. I bet the Indians never had to booster their horse's.

I'm up yo 5 head. They are going to put me in the poor house.

I think a lot depends on where you live and who they are exposed to. West Nile is pretty prevalent here. So that one is a must for me.
The horses that rodeo or show can be exposed to crap brought in from anywhere, even if you don't have it in your area. Those "traveling" horses may still get a mild case of something even if vaccinated. Then they bring it home to the others.
So knowing what you do with your horses BF I would have to say yes. Vaccinate. :)

Latest posts