Horse Trained In N.M. Wins Kentucky Derby

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw that race, amazing job that jockey did shooting up the rail through those openings. I hope that horse wins some more!

I don't usually like Big horse races, (ie The grand National, as to many horses seem to get hurt) but just love it when the under dog comes through and wins, and puts it in the face of those snooty trainers. good for him hope he goes on to do more of it. Good Horse, Good Jockey. Ya just can't beat those Louisana Men. ;-)

Legends are made.
That trainer drove the horse from NM to KY in a two horse trailer! (Not the usual way Derby horses arrive) He arranged himself in the truck to drive with his left foot on the gas because his right leg is broken.
And the payout--$104 on a $2 bet! In 135 yrs that is the 2nd biggest payoff.
One more quote from the trainer post race--"I guess they'll know me now."

john250":3ovysgpu said:
Legends are made.
That trainer drove the horse from NM to KY in a two horse trailer! (Not the usual way Derby horses arrive) He arranged himself in the truck to drive with his left foot on the gas because his right leg is broken.
And the payout--$104 on a $2 bet! In 135 yrs that is the 2nd biggest payoff.
One more quote from the trainer post race--"I guess they'll know me now."
I liked in the interviews afterwards when he said, "I guess now they'll have something to talk about besides the trailer ride up."

i saw it too,,, glad too get to witness it.. it was something else, good too see those other pompus ass's get their feelings hurt.

They keep calling him "little"horse. How tall is he? Native Dancer didn't sell because he was "little".

twistedxranch":hetvlla6 said:
VanC":hetvlla6 said:
Sure was fun to watch. Here's his pedigree. Got some pretty famous names behind him, including Bold Ruler, who sired Secretariat.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/mine+that+bird

I wish he ran like secretariat. That would be a whole lotta fun.

His time was 2 seconds and change slower than Secretariat. But he did pass 11 horses in half a mile.

twistedxranch":1d8at9nx said:
john250":1d8at9nx said:
twistedxranch":1d8at9nx said:
Sure was fun to watch. Here's his pedigree. Got some pretty famous names behind him, including Bold Ruler, who sired Secretariat.

His time was 2 seconds and change slower than Secretariat. But he did pass 11 horses in half a mile.

Yeah but secretariat won by something like 21 lengths

Unless you can gain that many lengths in 2 seconds doesn't that mean secretariat was in a race with slower horses???

I've been obsessed with Secretariat since his racing days, so I know a little about his record. I'll clear a couple of things up. Secretariat won the Derby by 2 1/2 lengths over Sham, not 21 lengths. He won the Belmont by 31 lengths. His track record in the Derby of 1:59 2/5 still stands today. Sham's time in the Derby was 2:00 flat, and is the third fastest time ever in the Derby. Secretariat's time in the Belmont set a world record for 1 1/2 miles that also still stands today.

Now for my Secretariat trivia lesson for the day:

In 1969, Penny Chenery, the owner of Meadow Stable sent two brood mares to another stable to be bred by Bold Ruler. Instead of charging a stud fee, the agreement was that the winner of a coin flip would choose between the two foals and the "loser" would get the other. The following year a filly and a colt were born to those two mares. Bold Ruler's owner won the coin flip and chose the filly. Meadow Stable got "stuck" with the colt, named it Secretariat, and the rest is history.

john250":3e1c2g56 said:
twistedxranch":3e1c2g56 said:
VanC":3e1c2g56 said:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/mine+that+bird

What was track condition for Secretariat?

Latest posts