Horse Trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
I've been thinking about a new (or at least new to me) horse trailer and wanted to get comments and opinions from ya'll. Below is my wish list for features and options

Basic Type – 2-3 horse slant load, GN, dual axle, elec brakes with forward tack and storage/sleeping area, standard lighting, tack racks, drop downs horse windows and sliders in front area, etc

Use – Trail riding, camping, shows etc.

Special features desired – water tank for horses (some horses will only drink their home water), emergency side exit door for horses, load ramp, retractable awning,

Construction – I was thinking about a hybrid that had steel walls for strength since I've heard horror stories about horse injuries from actually kicking a hole in aluminum walls, a fiberglass top because the ones I've been in seem to stay about 10 deg cooler in the Texas heat, bolt on aluminum wheel fenders and ramp since these are high rust areas and also subject to impact damage. I have never actually seen one of this type construction.

A couple of things that we've found really handy. Make sure you've got some good lights to illuminate the tie-outs. They're really nice for late/early tacking and grooming. We had extras put on ours just to be sure. Speaking of heat, we had about six extra pop-up vents put in ours over the horse area and over the mid-tack with an extra flow through vent in the mid-tack/horse box wall. We've got a shower and toilet in ours. I know its extra $$ but I would sure hate to do without em. As much storage as you can get. We,ve got big side storage compartments with a feed trough on top of them. Easier than hanging hay bags and seems to keep the horses occupied during long trips.

IMHO do not get a ramp. if a horse cannot step up 10" he will certainly have trouble with a slick sloping board that feels (to him) like it flexes. Expensive, heavy, hard to lift and drop, maintenence prob, got to dig manure out of the hinge regularly. And here is the kicker. I,ve seen more horses hurt stepping off the side of a ramp backing out of the first slot in a slant load than I have just stepping out of a trailer onto the ground. A horse may skin the front edge of their back leg backing out but you really don't want to se a horse laying on it's side with one leg completely under a ramp and the front half still in the trailer and on top of the ramp. Most slant loads have enough room for #2 and 3 horse to turn around in and walk out forward.

Latest posts