Horse slaughtering plant

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
Montana is planning to build a horse slaughter plant. Sad, but necessary, IMO. If they can get it done, what are the chances Texas will reopen theirs?

Montana horse slaughter bill becomes law
By The Associated Press

HELENA - Legislation to allow investor-owned horse slaughterhouses in Montana and limit opportunities for legal action against them became law on Friday, after Gov. Brian Schweitzer neither signed nor vetoed the measure.

Friday was the deadline for Schweitzer to act and, with no action by him, House Bill 418 automatically became law.

The bill includes some protection against court injunctions that would stop or delay slaughterhouse construction. The measure sponsored by Rep. Ed Butcher, R-Winifred, aims to limit the kind of legal challenges that forced the last U.S. slaughterhouses, which were in Illinois and Texas, to close in 2007.

During the 2009 legislative session, which ended Tuesday, Schweitzer rejected the limit on legal action. He said it would strip people of appeal rights important in environmental protection. The Legislature then rejected the changes Schweitzer wanted. Butcher said during the session that the governor's amendments would make the bill "an empty shell because nobody's going to invest five to six million in a business in Montana if they're going to be harassed."

Schweitzer has said that as an owner of livestock and horses, he supports the humane processing of horses to produce meat for human consumption.

His communications director, Sarah Elliott, issued a terse statement Friday, saying only that "the governor made his opinion on this bill known, the Legislature did the same. No action was taken and the bill has now become law."

The bill brought lawmakers and the governor a flood of e-mails and telephone messages, from across the country, in support of the legislation and against it.

http://billingsgazette.net/articles/200 ... ughter.txt

Frankie you got to remember that there is a Federal law that does not allow for inspection of slaughtered horse meat for human consumption.
Now the animal rights groups are going to try to get this law ruled unconstitutional and throw all kinds of legal garbage at it.
No business is going to come in until that is all done, because why spend a bunch of money somewhere and maybe not be able to build there.
Rep. Ed Butcher has spoken to a few businesses that might be interested if the law still stands after the legal challenges.

I hate to admit it, but I do see some value in the argument that we're breeding too many horses, dogs and cats. A relative has 18 minature/ponies. I asked why she kept breeding them and she said "oh, they're sooooo cute when they're born". Right now she has them on a friend's pasture. They're not trained, broke, anything. They're just there. She'd sell them if someone came along and offered her money, but can't bring herself to take them to a sale. I think that's highly irresponsible.

Animal rights groups are working in OK to get tougher dog kennel licensing laws. I hate to give them an inch, but it's hard to ignore the overpopulation of dogs. We get one dumped pretty regularly here. If they're a nice, purebred-type dog, we take them to the humane society. They work hard to get them adopted. But the curs or sick ones get shot and that's not a pleasant thing to have to do.

As for Montana: This was a big loss for the AR people. It makes me happy to see them get their behinds kicked. They have so much money and political pull. Yes, there are unanswered questions with the new law and it will be a long time before the thing goes into operation, if ever. But if there's enough demand for the meat, I don't doubt something could be worked out that the European company wanting the meat could provide inspectors.

I don't think its sad, I think its smart and something we need to do. If horses are like pets, why can we euthanize dogs and cats but not horses? I don't know. I doubt too many more plants will open up.

I luv herfrds":1u8fsbii said:
Frankie you got to remember that there is a Federal law that does not allow for inspection of slaughtered horse meat for human consumption.
Now the animal rights groups are going to try to get this law ruled unconstitutional and throw all kinds of legal garbage at it.
No business is going to come in until that is all done, because why spend a bunch of money somewhere and maybe not be able to build there.
Rep. Ed Butcher has spoken to a few businesses that might be interested if the law still stands after the legal challenges.

Yep-- and on top of that the PETA/HSUS/bunny hugger/Veggies are now putting out a boycott Montana tourism promotion for this summer because of this....

So if anyone wants to visit Yellowstone or Glacier this might be the year to do it when all the fruits and nuts aren't there ;-)

If everyone knew Peta and the other prairie fairies wouldn't be there I think Yellowstone and Glacier would have record crowds.

LoveMoo11":1dcr35nw said:
I don't think its sad, I think its smart and something we need to do. If horses are like pets, why can we euthanize dogs and cats but not horses? I don't know. I doubt too many more plants will open up.

I don't think there are any laws aginst euthanizeing horses,I think the law is aginst useing the carcus for anything usefull.I always wondered what horse tasted like.I would like to know if there is a law aginst me buying a horse and eating it?

EAT BEEF":qzoreknx said:
LoveMoo11":qzoreknx said:

I don't think there are any laws aginst euthanizeing horses,I think the law is aginst useing the carcus for anything usefull.I always wondered what horse tasted like.I would like to know if there is a law aginst me buying a horse and eating it?

I think you are right. But if you euthanize the horse then you also have to bury it with a backhoe or be fined. Many people don't have this option or can't afford it. I think we will either see a lot of scraggly horses in some of these small pastures in the near future or there are going to be some loose horses standing in the ROW.

A year or so ago a fella from town carried his stock to an animal sale where they sell everything from cows to ducks. When he came back there were two horses tied to his horse trailer and no one saw anything or knew anything. What was he to do?

I think the slaughterhouses are a good thing. Might as well make dog or catfood out of them rather than burying them.

In my opinion, it's high time we got one reopened in the states! When we lived in Illinois there was a facility near us. I don't have a problem with it at all, and I spent years training and showing horses. It's like anything else.. some horses have outlived their usefulness, or are too mean to ride, or have crippling injuries, etc. etc. What else is there to do with them? These animal rights people are KILLING livestock producers, aren't they? You would think they could find something better to do with their time and money.. like perhaps feed hungry children? Shesh..

Jogeephus":1ps7zwpi said:
EAT BEEF":1ps7zwpi said:
LoveMoo11":1ps7zwpi said:

I think you are right. But if you euthanize the horse then you also have to bury it with a backhoe or be fined. Many people don't have this option or can't afford it. I think we will either see a lot of scraggly horses in some of these small pastures in the near future or there are going to be some loose horses standing in the ROW.

A year or so ago a fella from town carried his stock to an animal sale where they sell everything from cows to ducks. When he came back there were two horses tied to his horse trailer and no one saw anything or knew anything. What was he to do?

I think the slaughterhouses are a good thing. Might as well make dog or catfood out of them rather than burying them.

We have the same things going on in Oklahoma,folks have to lock empty trailers just so they don't end up with no sale horses.I would be happy to pick up unwanted horses and drop them off at these do-gooder's places.

EAT BEEF":b8jeogy1 said:

Talk to dun.

if they get the horse slaughter plants going in montana.they will be hauling alot of slaughter horses to them from other states.

There were a few more states trying to pass a similar bill, but how they went I don't know. I think, but not sure, but Utah might have been considering a bill too.

OT that would great if they didn't show up in Glacier, maybe I can get a room there with out a reservation. :D

Just see how the opinion turns when a few people get killed hitting a turnout horse on a road sometime. Yes we have to many but just because we like westerns why should we decide what the French or other countries from Europe want to eat. Everyone things the wild mustaangs are so wild heck they would probably all be dead by now if not for the great depression. That allowed for alot of "new" blood to be introduced as paople were modernizing and could not afford the horses they did not need any longer. If there are to many then set limits and lets hunt them like deer and elk.

Wow, is it really that bad were ya'll live, I cant imagine a horse slaughter house in Mississippi, I'm not sayin' I'm against it, its just never been a problem around here. As a matter of fact, me and I know a few others would love to have someone give us a horse or 2, they are still alittle high priced around here for just a pleasure horse, I need 1 or 2 to put at my dad's to keep the grass ate down around his fish pond, any givers?

rowdyred":14a6sjl9 said:
Wow, is it really that bad were ya'll live, I cant imagine a horse slaughter house in Mississippi, I'm not sayin' I'm against it, its just never been a problem around here. As a matter of fact, me and I know a few others would love to have someone give us a horse or 2, they are still alittle high priced around here for just a pleasure horse, I need 1 or 2 to put at my dad's to keep the grass ate down around his fish pond, any givers?

What do you consider too high priced for a pleasure horse?

What would you consider to be a reasonable price for a pleasure horse? Sex? Trained? Or?

I hear people talk about seeing horse go at a sale barn for 150-300 dollars, then I start asking around all I can find are 1200 and up, I want a couple of bred mares that will probable never be ridden, that I can put in a pasture that my mom and dad can set in the shade a watch, and then a colt or 2 it would make my momma so happy, I can afford 150-300, I cant afford 1200. I hear people talking that horses are getting cheap, what to you consider cheap?

I think it depends on what area of the country you are in. Have you looked on Craig's List? You can find anything there. I'll bet there's a ton of horses, too.

Latest posts