Horse slaughtering plant

Help Support CattleToday:

The last couple of times I saw horses sell they were in the 75-125 range. Their saddles sold for more then the horses.

we DEFINITELY need horse slaughter plants, we have so many wild (Native indian owned) horses around here it's absurd, there was just an article in the paper about the SPCA that "saved" 3 horses that were starved, louse and tick infested, wormed and general wrecks... it cost 500$ a week for each horse and they were asking for donations... if it were possible, we would have mailed them 3 .308 shells... put them out of their misery.. around here there are good horses going for 150 bucks.. as for slaughter plants and the use for horse meat... I've never had it, but I would eat it, I've eaten bear, deer, cougar, snake, and all sorts of other stuff..

if nothing else, package the meat and send it to the 3rd world, I'm sure there's a billion people there that would die for a horse steak

and it's time to stop turning people into animals, and animals into people

there's plenty of room for all of gods creatures.. right next to the mashed potatoes!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I like that, "Right next to the mashed potatos."

The Rocky Mountain Rider asked it's readers to send in any "true" storys; not just hear say; on abandoned horses.
One came in from a lady who had a strange stud horse get in with her band of brood mares. the stud injuried a couple of her young filly's and bred several of the mares. The cost of now testing the mares and the vet bills for the other 2 are huge.
Stud was just turned out and nobody claimed him at the stock yard.

rowdyred be careful of getting a "free" horse, you don't know what problems that will be coming with it.

Ok. This is gonna sound strange. I think before we ever euthinize an animal we should consider if we can turn it into food. I doubt people in third world countries that are starving to death care if they are eating cat, dog or horse. What is more humane than feeding starving people?

Walt

Txwalt":2fl235eo said:
Ok. This is gonna sound strange. I think before we ever euthinize an animal we should consider if we can turn it into food. I doubt people in third world countries that are starving to death care if they are eating cat, dog or horse. What is more humane than feeding starving people?

Walt

Agree Walt!

Heard on the news that some 38 million?? people in India were malnurished and some in starvation mode. That doesn't include the "starving" people in the USA as well as some other 3rd World countries.

rowdyred":54qe7dwf said:
I hear people talk about seeing horse go at a sale barn for 150-300 dollars, then I start asking around all I can find are 1200 and up, I want a couple of bred mares that will probable never be ridden, that I can put in a pasture that my mom and dad can set in the shade a watch, and then a colt or 2 it would make my momma so happy, I can afford 150-300, I cant afford 1200. I hear people talking that horses are getting cheap, what to you consider cheap?

Agree there are "good" horses going for next to nothing (10 cents on dollar) as result of the sheeeety economy, $500 to $1000 a year to "properly" feed, mineral, water, groom, trim hooves, vaccinate, de-worm, etc. On the other hand, there are many compromised horses out there for cheap prices (malnurished, wormy, no vaccinations, hooves in bad shape, ribs showing, serious attitude problems, laminitis) that are both privately owned and at auction sales in the $100 to $300 range. Also consider Vet bills and health & nutrition re-conditioning of a "poor" horse to get it up to speed...add those costs to the purchase price...not including all the hassle, trouble, work involved in the process. JMO.

However, if one wants a "good" horse (with or without registration) that is in GOOD health and has been properly cared for, with a good attitude, unless the owner is desperate for $$ you will not find one for those prices (can be exceptions, for sure). When the chips are down, owners cut corners... :cry2:

Another consideration: Any "trained in bit and saddle" horse (anywhere between one and six months of training, depending on breed, trainer, etc) one cost on average between $300 and $500 a month for that training (unless you do it yourself).

An untrained, neglected or abused horse is a train wreck waiting to happen, even with a good competent new owner.

I have said this before, but zoos feed their carnivores horse meat and when they closed the slaughtering facility around here, it caused a real hardship for the Fort Worth and Dallas zoos. I guess the PETA folks think it is okay to let a zoo animal go hungry. They just don't think.

dun":1lra9mty said:
The last couple of times I saw horses sell they were in the 75-125 range. Their saddles sold for more then the horses.

The most you get for one around here at a sale is $20.00

Figure in the vet fee of $25.00 and the sale barn fee and you are actually paying someone to take the horse.

Didn't Montana have a horse slaughter plant closed down just a few years ago?
I agree there are to many unwanted horses and people should have an option for getting rid of them.
I don't like the EU buying up all the US horse meat they can get. But will not touch our beef. :mad:

I never heard of us having a horse slaughter plant. Are you talking about the rendering plant?
We have lost several beef and pork processing plants.

Lammie":16hfh2f9 said:
I have said this before, but zoos feed their carnivores horse meat and when they closed the slaughtering facility around here, it caused a real hardship for the Fort Worth and Dallas zoos. I guess the PETA folks think it is okay to let a zoo animal go hungry. They just don't think.

I beleive you can "donate" your horse to the zoo or a wildlife sanctuary..they put the horse down, usually with a bullet and then feed it to their carnivores. A friend of mine was considering this for her older broodmares.

We deal in the mid upper end reiners and cowhorses and even that market has taken abit of a slide. Really wellbroke quiet horses are still holding their value, but young'ns with nothing breedings, open average broodmares and all the cockaroaches(as my uncle calls them) are loosing value fast.
Market is real soft right now for certain types of horses.

Latest posts