Horse slaughter

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy

Reaction score
I know a lot of you folks read this more than the horse board so I thought I would post this here also.

Don't know if it will do any good but here is a site where you can sign a petition to reinstate the slaughter of horses here in the US. Regardless of how you feel about this subject, think about it, do you like it that our horses are being sent to Mexico and having their throats cuts and allowed to stand till they die. Don't they deserve and more humane way to go? Will PETA try to stop the slaughter of cattle next? How about the butchering of fowl?

Please go sign this for the future of our horses.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/hor ... lants.html

One of the things that urkes me about the whole horse meat thing is. It's not eaten here in the US. The EU will not buy our beef but begs for all the horse meat they can get. There are to many horses and I don't know what to do with them. Maybe the EU should send ships over to get them, let them do the dirty work. :cowboy:

I heard one time that unless the petition is on paper it is not worth alot.
Did an online petition a few years ago to get PETA's non profit status revoked. There were over 40,000 signatures. Nothing ever happened.

I know a guy who ships thousands of horses a year to Japan to be slaughtered over there. They fly them over. They use to ship them out of Seattle but all the PETA etc protests got old so they moved the shipping operation to Canada. These aren't the blind, crippled, or crazy horses. They are draft horses that are raised for this purpose. The buyer in Japan requires that they be a certain size by a certain age. They have been doing this for years.

Don't get me wrong I am NOT an advocate of useless or senseless slaughter of horses. It is however becoming a bigger problem everyday. I have already had folks tell me most of the rescue places around Fla are full and not accepting any new horses. It has been reported that one of our biggest National forest down here is being used by folks to turn out horses they can't afford to keep or can't put down.

This forest is bordered on each side by highways warning of deer and bear crossings. Can you imagine having a horse come through your windshield?

I don't know if this petition will go anywhere or not but I do feel a little better having at least signed it rather than assuming it will do no good.

Latest posts