Horse Slaughter Survey

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I'm writing a research paper on horse slaughter for my English class and I was wondering if you would be willing to answer a few questions for me. You can PM your responses to me so that way no debates can start and your questions are confidential. I'm not using any names in my paper either so you don't have to worry about that. So can y'all please help a college student out???

Questions:

1. What is your age, gender, and how long have you been involved with the horse industry?

2. Do you currently own any horses?

3. If you had an unwanted horse, what do you consider your options to be in order to no longer have the horse in your possession?

4. Do you think horse slaughter should be an option for horse owners?

5. Would you personally use the horse slaughter option if available to you?

Thank you for taking the time to respond!!!

blackbaldiecowgirl":26b8eejk said:
Happy to help
Questions:

1. What is your age, gender, and how long have you been involved with the horse industry?
50, male, been in the industry for about 30 yrs.

Yes, too many

3. If you had an unwanted horse, what do you consider your options to be in order to no longer have the horse in your possession?
Use to be, I could take the horse to the auction or sell the horse for just a few $$ to dump it quick or give it away to someone suitable.... I assume you are talking about a horse that is a canidate for horse slaughter (?) Now my options are to find someone to give it too, nearly impossible, or the 3 S's. Alot of auction yards won't take horses any more (they get left and never picked up if they don't sell) . I would never dump the horse somewhere.

In short, yes, horse slaughter should be legal.... it has killed the horse industry.

I personally do not have horses that I would consider slaughter canidates, there reasonably young and "use" to be worth a decent amount of money... But thanks the horse slaughter ban they are worth less than half of what they were worth pre horse slaughter ban.

JMO
Alan

blackbaldiecowgirl":1f1yyfr6 said:
Questions:

50, female, all my life.

No. One was put down due to arthritis last week, and the other 2 were sold a day later.

Since the horse slaughter ban was passed, the only options are to give them away, sell them and pay up, or put them down.

Absolutely!

Yes.

39, male, ~30 years.

No

Right now it would be sell it or shoot it.

YES, YES, YES,.......can I be any more clear??

YES.

blackbaldiecowgirl":3rpln5en said:
Hey y'all. I'm writing a research paper on horse slaughter for my English class and I was wondering if you would be willing to answer a few questions for me. You can PM your responses to me so that way no debates can start and your questions are confidential. I'm not using any names in my paper either so you don't have to worry about that. So can y'all please help a college student out???

Questions:

forever

no

sell or give away

no

not again

too many crowbaits were being bred by people that had/have no business breeding horses.
horses should only be bred with purpose in mind...not just to make a dollar.
if the horse is crippled or old and suffering, then he should be put down.
if you bred a junk horse thats your problem and should be responsible for the horse
if you think the horse market is in the crapper.
try and buy a good ranch horse.
there still a demand for good horses

blackbaldiecowgirl":129izkok said:

Questions:

28, Male, 10 yrs
Yes
Sell it
Yes I do, however, I also think people need to be more responsible with breeding horses. Have a breeding program in place and breed for a purpose. If a person hasn't sold last years foal, maybe they should rethink breeding mares this year. We stopped breeding two years ago, but have breed a mare this spring because my wife wants a new game horse.
Personally, I wouldn't sell a horse knowing that it would go do a slaughter facility. I do think that slaughter should be an option, though, and since the slaughter ban was pushed through on feelings and not facts it's tanked the horse industry and has hurt all of those that depend on horses for any level of income.

25 female my whole life
Yes one for each member of my family
Sell or give it away
Yes
NO
In our area horses are being dumped in the "hills" like stray dogs. They are causing alot of problems and many are dying of coggins and starvation. The people who live near where they run are worried their horses will contract the diseases that the horses have and they are tearing down fences and destroying pasture land. If not slaughter something is going to have to be done with these horses. It has also killed the horse market cause everyone thinks that they can catch a stray easier than buy a decent one from a good breeder. I haven't bred my mares in years and finally sold my stud. He had such good colts I couldn't bear to cut him. What I don't understand and is causing alot of the problems we are having is people have these horses that need care but the horse products (wormer, farrier fees, tack, grain, etc.) are just as high if not higher than ever. I don't know what needs to be done but someone needs to get there heads together cause it's just gonna get worse. They even have an unwanted horse coilliton now and that is sad. When I was a kid there was no such thing as an unwanted horse!!!

fyi

Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:31 PM
To:
Subject: Sodium Pentobarbital found in composted carcass of Euthanasia horse

Euthanasia Drug Found in Carcass Compost

by: Kathryn Watts, BS
June 05 2009, Article # 14299
Print Email NEW! Add to Favorites RSS ShareThis
Composting is one option for disposing of a horse carcass after euthanasia. Researchers at West Texas A&M recently conducted a study to determine if residues of sodium pentobarbital might remain in compost as a potential environmental hazard. They presented their preliminary results at the 2009 Equine Science Society Meeting, held May 29-31 in Keystone, Colo.

Horses that had been euthanized by a veterinarian were composted with layers of hay and stall cleanings and mechanically aerated every 90 days (read more).

After six months, samples from eight different compost piles contained from 0.008 to 3.16 ppm sodium pentobarbital. Lena Cottle, a PhD candidate under the direction of Lance Baker, MS, PhD, is conducting further research to assign relevance to these numbers and learn more about the environmental fate of pentobarbital.

Until this work is concluded, the researchers recommend avoiding the use of potentially contaminated compost as fertilizer. Care should be taken to compost euthanized animals in areas where residues are less apt to leach into ground water or run off into ponds or streams.

Read more about carcass disposal.

27 years old, female, been involved with horses almost my whole life
yes, we own 7..our program focuses on breeding and showing reined cowhorses
We really have never had an unwanted horse. We sell our foals, but because we only have 3 broodmares and only breed one a year..we also realize we are in this for "the long haul"..we may sell that foal in utero or we may have to train and show it before we can find a buyer. Our horses are by top sires out of really nice mares, we do everything we can to make them as marketable as possible..Our option is sale..
Yes, I think it should be
I would not with any equine in my possesion right now..I dont even think that would be an option for them..HOWEVER, I know how important it is to HAVE the base price set by slaughter..so yes, I beleive its something that needs to be legalized

I personaly would like to see the plants opened back up and

-the goverment reinstate their funding for inspections at the plants(which they cut off adruptly in 2005 and made the plants pay for their own inspections, which led to alot of the problems and complaints)

blackbaldiecowgirl said:
[/q]

Questions:

There are two of Us.
I'm a woman 26, College Student, Co-Founder of http://alahassoc.org/index.php , Livestock ALL My life.
Dad is 71, and had livestock all His life, Rode "Broke" Horses most of his life

Dad Just put my OLD Mare Down with with a 44 Pellet - for health reasons...

Depends on the Horse, its Health, age history _ But Slaughter should be an Option - Doing what was best for the mare Cost me Money and was a waist of FOOD

YES

If I Trully LOVED the Horse - It's Natures way

fyi

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:54 AM
To:
Subject:

...story about the horse crisis:
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/2 ... /306289989

It is the first post for today, found it within 15 seconds of submitting
a search: http://www.amillionhorses.com/this%20month.htm

This Indiana rescue owner, as I've found to be the case in other
instances, understands the reality of horse ownership and supports horse
processing. Bless her heart, she's carrying a heavy load. Kudos to her