Horse recomendation

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't misconstrue what I said, I merely threw out the suggestion of a horse with a touch of draft. I did not say he needed a draft horse. I'm a fairly big man and I don't ride a draft cross. At this point I haven't a need for one. The point you made about some of them being wide and hard on ones hips is true, especially at my age. Anymore I tend to lean toward the narrower type QH. for several reasons, over the old bull dog type. Like you said there are lots of big horses out there. Its just finding one to match the rider.

I own a quarter horse /saddlebred cross that is 16hd. and about 1250lb
he will carry a big guy all day and half the night. he does try to dump me for the first ride of the day, but settles down to work after getting his kinks out. :cboy:

Ive roped with fellers that had to pull there belly off the saddle horn to make a dalley. then holding a 700 pd steer and a tub o lard takes a pretty good animal if a 15-2 16 hand QH cant handle you ill eat my hat :hat: let alone those guy's that will pasture rope a bull that will go a ton or so.

ALACOWMAN":3ac121kn said:
Ive roped with fellers that had to pull there belly off the saddle horn to make a dalley. then holding a 700 pd steer and a tub o lard takes a pretty good animal

I have to agree with that. I watched a big size horse in excellent condition sway back and forth after a few runs trying to carry a big man that was heeling. He was not fat at all, just a big man. I told him to get his behind off my horse and to stay away from him. ;-) :D

I like our QH and Paint, both are good size horses. Have worked cattle on both, they both get down to business when working cattle. Believe though, the paint could handle a big rider and run for days....he has that much energy, and a good heart. ;-)

I hope you find the perfect horse....

There are lots of horses that can handle the weight that you mentioned without a problem, however, balance will be an issue. You mentioned that it's been a while since you've ridden so most likely, your going to have to find your "seat" again. I know I did when I got back into riding after a few years. A draft cross, QH, Morgan, Appy, or Paint would be a good choice for you since, for a while at least your going to be off balance. A larger mustang would be ideal, they have shorter backs and can handle more weight than the afore mentioned, longer backed horses. You also don't need a 16 or 17 hand horse. A 15 hander or so will fit you just fine. I wouldn't go any smaller, mainly for looks. Hope this helps :)

Gliderider":1xdgil2k said:
A larger mustang would be ideal, they have shorter backs and can handle more weight than the afore mentioned, longer backed horses. You also don't need a 16 or 17 hand horse. A 15 hander or so will fit you just fine. I wouldn't go any smaller, mainly for looks. Hope this helps :)

Shorter backs in mustangs, you may have a different type of mustang in your area (Flaboy educated me on crackers). But out here a mustang is mostly a feral horse, some spanish blood, some QH, some TB or Paint. Maybe a ranch horse that got away in the 60's and joined a feral group and bred generations for 40 years. The ones I've seen don't have shorter backs unless the have Arab in them. They do have tuff feet though. I do agree eith you 100% on your issue of balance, start at a walk until you are very comfortable and then move to a trot, ect.

JMO,
Alan

We don't have any feral mustangs over here, but I bought a couple of Spanish Mustangs from Wy and had them shipped here along with 4 more for a friend of mine. The spanish type mustangs have one less vertabre than all other horses, therefor shorter, stronger back. So they can carry more weight comfortably. They are extremely versatile and can do just about anything you ask it too. If it decides it's worth doing, that is. :D There are now mustangs in Dressage, roping, reining, cutting, barrel racing, endurance(of course), fox hunting, jumping, you name it and they can do it. (With the exception of racing, their short little legs can't compare with the TBs) A lot of people sell these little guys short. Go to the Spanish Mustang Registry and check them out. You'd be suprised.

My host family in Ok had two mustangs with them. Non of them was realy beautifull, but they where sturdy, healthy and nice balanced horses. I would say that both of them would be able to carry a "big guy", as long as the big guy can handle them ;-) .
I donßt have much experiance with mustangs, more pat-horses :D , but these both shure couldn´t be handled by an unexperianced horse-person.
So: curious question: are there special "mustang-trainers"?

girl from far, far away...

Hmmm, we've got 6 horses on the place. My husband's about 260# and all of our horses carry him well, despite their varying sizes. We have purebreds as well as crossbreds and all are good working horses. I think that's the key - good working horses with good conformation and in good health.

My husband's favorite horse is his Morgan, which is a stout cow horse that can carry my husband all day in the mountains - rough country at high altitude. He rides our Arab on cows and trails, and remarks how that horse rarely seems to get tired. Our QH mare does just fine with him & is a superb cowhorse. So does our longlegged Saddlebred mare. We also have a 16H TB cross gelding that has no trouble carrying him all day. And, well, the sixth horse is simply too old to carry anyone anymore. He's a 26 year old retired, gaited 17H TW Saddlebred cross, but in his day was a horse none could keep up with.

So, I recommend don't look so much for the breed as for the horse that suits you.

Besides, my husband used to think he especially liked the big, tall horses, but now says the older he gets the more he seems to like the horses that are just a bit shorter - easier to get on and closer to the ground if you fall off. ;-)

germancowgirl":31zbf5ua said:
My host family in Ok had two mustangs with them. Non of them was realy beautifull, but they where sturdy, healthy and nice balanced horses. I would say that both of them would be able to carry a "big guy", as long as the big guy can handle them ;-) .
I donßt have much experiance with mustangs, more pat-horses :D , but these both shure couldn´t be handled by an unexperianced horse-person.
So: curious question: are there special "mustang-trainers"?

girl from far, far away...

Ah, you just reminded me of the German young women I met who came to work summers for our friends here in Utah. I think they had a total of 3 or 4 come to stay. A German couple bought some land near here and spend part of the year here. They recommended several girls to our friends. The girls loved seeing the country and meeting other young folks here, as well as the rodeos, and just doing groundwork with lots of young paint horses for their keep. They were fun to meet and to watch work with the horse. I'm glad you had a chance to see some of the USA. :D

Latest posts