Horse people vs cattle people

Help Support CattleToday:

Grippie":2racfl3m said:
msscamp":2racfl3m said:
Bez>":2racfl3m said:
grubbie":2racfl3m said:
We've had a population explosion in our area. Now we are surrounded by horse people. Anyone with 5 acres has 5 or even 10 horses to go with it and turned into instant "cowboys". That's fine, but now they all come riding across our land, with their dogs, bothering cows, and leaving gates open. We have since locked gates, made it clear there is no trespassing, and now we are the jerks of the county. They can't seem to find hay on bad years, so they call us. When we did sell them hay they want to come pick out a bale (large rounds) from the middle of the stack. When we tell them they can't do that, we again are the jerks of the county. Most of the time we don't have hay to sell at all. If they see one weed sticking out of a bale, they want it for free. But it doesn't necessarily just apply to horse people, it is people in general. many of our horseless neighbors shoot trophy deer and antelope along the road and just leave it there, then in the fall call us wanting permission to hunt. When we say no, again we are the jerks of the county. I am sure there are good horse people, just as there are good/bad cow people. It more comes down to just people and respecting your neighbors and your animals. I am sure I will draw fire from this post, but that's my two cents worth.

We no longer sell any hay to horse folks. Too much trouble - they see ours eating round bales and complain if there is anything "perceived" wong with the hay. Funny how our horses are so healthy eating that dusty and mouldy hay. :lol:

If that is is the quality of hay you're selling to the 'horse people', I don't blame them for complaining - I would too. Horses can't handle dusty or moldy hay - it causes chronic coughing, and can cause other problems as well. My respect for you just went down quite a few notches. If you're going to have animals, know how to take care of them, and do it properly. How many times have you bitched about this on these boards - yet you're doing it yourself. :roll:

Regards

Bez>

I think he was kidding... :roll:

Sigh ........

Ya I have had to deal with some of those horse crazies at a little ranch I take care of. I am just amazed every time I have to deal with people like that. :shock:

I was told by one guy that he could not use our feed (horse man's edge) because his horses were of better quality than the ranch horses.:roll:

I was like oh really... what do yall use yalls horse for (talking to the father). My daughter rides in some Blah Blah Blah Riding Club.

That guy even gave me rules for being around their horse.

I blew their mind when I rode up while they were shooting skeet. The guy asked me if I could do that because the horse was deaf... I said no... you can shoot off the ranch horses because of the cheap feed we give them.:D

Brute 23":3e2hoe0r said:
Ya I have had to deal with some of those horse crazies at a little ranch I take care of. I am just amazed every time I have to deal with people like that. :shock:

I was told by one guy that he could not use our feed (horse man's edge) because his horses were of better quality than the ranch horses.:roll:

I was like oh really... what do yall use yalls horse for (talking to the father). My daughter rides in some Blah Blah Blah Riding Club.

I blew their mind when I rode up while they were shooting skeet. The guy asked me if I could do that because the horse was deaf... I said no... you can shoot off the ranch horses. :D

Good post.Have these people never seen a good ole western movie where the horses worked their buts off.

Brute 23":2ynyxze4 said:

Heck, we had that happen a few times when I was at the Auburn Vet School. Like our animal nutritionist mixed ration was somehow inferior to their favorite bagged feed.

Brute 23":3a572258 said:

I blew their mind when I rode up while they were shooting skeet. The guy asked me if I could do that because the horse was deaf... I said no... you can shoot off the ranch horses because of the cheap feed we give them.:D
Rules for being around the horse? That does sound like some I have come across.
It has been seriously implied that I would not know how to lead a horse, much less ride one because I have not had lessons from a properly qualified instructor. Seems like roping in rodeos before they were even born is not good enough.

Big difference between those kind of people and rodeo people. At least back when I used to rodeo a little.

Little Cow: I think its just a lesson in life's experiences. Some folks need to make a big show of what they do (ever seen someone buy a brand new JD riding mower and then wait until the neighbors are coming home from work so they can see em mowing grass??)

Others just quietly go about their business taking care of their stock, treating them well because they feel its the right thing to do not because someone can "see" what they do.

Animals adapt very well to their environment. If a stalled horse gets used to a fan then they sweat like all get out when its not turned on. I used to show years ago and had to keep em stalled because they were black horses and I didn't want them to get sunburned, couldn't turn the mare out to grass because she had the heavy plantation shoes on and I thought if I didn't go to a horseshow every weekend then that was the end of the world. However, we still drove an old van and a 2 horse bumper pull. We were told several times by different people that we needed to update the rig but that never impressed me. We had a good floor in the horse trailer and it mattered what was IN the trailer not the rig itself.

Not all show people are bad, nor are all trail riding people, nor are all cowboy people. Wouldn't matter what some folks have, you're always gonna find someone who thinks they're better than someone else.

:) I am one of the few around these parts that are both
"cow" and "horse". I have a really nice herd of herefords with
a few angus and and limos thrown in for variety. I show the
reg. heifers at the local shows, sell the calves at the salebarn,
and enjoy the challange of raising good cattle. I also have a
posse of horses, everything from quarter horses to an arabian.
I show ( no breed shows---- boo hiss) just open shows. :p
My cattle trailier IS my horse trailier ( much to the nasty
stares from the " big whigs" that have $40,000 trailiers) :shock: My mare can give em a run in the pleasure
class and then go out and work cattle and never miss a lick! :lol: I am not one of those " crazy " horse people with
the horse kept in a plastic bag in a stall with ceiling fans.
( he might get a scratch or loose a tail hair if he went outside
:mad: ) One of my horses is 27 and is still working ( on a limited basis :cboy: ) Not all horse owners are insane, just
only about 95% are!!!! :nod:

Around here people buy 10 acres to build on the first building that goes up is a horse barn. Everyone wants a horse [poor idiots]. A guy told me the other day "If there is somebody you really don't like, buy them a horse!" :)

rkm":69ezfqso said:
. A guy told me the other day "If there is somebody you really don't like, buy them a horse!" :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No joke... I have yet to see the "pleasure" part of horses. :?

Pleasure is sitting in a lazy boy, in the AC, with King of the Hill on, and your ol lady cooking it up in the kitchen. :D

If it wasn't for having some one to feed and do the daily stuff I probably would have gotten rid of myne. :lol:

holly heifer":3odkyc2s said:
:) I am one of the few around these parts that are both "cow" and "horse". ..... I am not one of those " crazy " horse people with the horse kept in a plastic bag in a stall with ceiling fans. ( he might get a scratch or loose a tail hair if he went outside :mad: ) ..... Not all horse owners are insane, just only about 95% are!!!! :nod:

Same here. Not a crazy horse person, just plain crazy!

Had horses long ago and only helped out with cattle. This time I started with cattle (ok, actually the chickens came first), then got horses again. And, only once I had both cattle and horses did I really come to understand just what horses can do to a pasture when you're trying to raise cattle! It's gotten to the point now where I have divided the pastures into three ... two to rotate the cattle back and forth on and one small one in the front for the horses. If I didn't keep them out of the cattle pastures, the darn things would eat every square inch of it down to the dirt and the cattle would starve! I do love them, though.

I think it's just a matter of taking responsibility for all your animals and keeping the kind of animals you enjoy. I enjoy riding, I'm training the horses to help with the cattle for when we get more land (and more cattle) and my kids are learning different levels of responsibility from all of it. I treat my cattle and horses the same way - always paying attention to what kind of condition they are in and what types of feed they are eating, etc.

And I've noticed the same thing around here when it comes to buying hay. And for the vet. The equine vet in town puts a credit card on file for any new client before they even schedule to take a look at the horse and won't give you any advice or info over the phone (standard response, "well, I'd have to see her to really get an idea") - you gotta' pay to play. The vet we have for the cattle will give whatever advice you want over the phone, and on my first call to him he offered to come out, implant CIDRs and give a looksee, then come back out to TAI without ever asking about form of payment. All he asked was if we had a headgate or "something" he could work with! Definite difference in attitudes.

grubbie":3fiuafan said:
We've had a population explosion in our area. Now we are surrounded by horse people. Anyone with 5 acres has 5 or even 10 horses to go with it and turned into instant "cowboys". That's fine, but now they all come riding across our land, with their dogs, bothering cows, and leaving gates open. We have since locked gates, made it clear there is no trespassing, and now we are the jerks of the county. They can't seem to find hay on bad years, so they call us. When we did sell them hay they want to come pick out a bale (large rounds) from the middle of the stack. When we tell them they can't do that, we again are the jerks of the county. Most of the time we don't have hay to sell at all. If they see one weed sticking out of a bale, they want it for free. But it doesn't necessarily just apply to horse people, it is people in general. many of our horseless neighbors shoot trophy deer and antelope along the road and just leave it there, then in the fall call us wanting permission to hunt. When we say no, again we are the jerks of the county. I am sure there are good horse people, just as there are good/bad cow people. It more comes down to just people and respecting your neighbors and your animals. I am sure I will draw fire from this post, but that's my two cents worth.

Personally, I think your in a great position (financially). Turn over half a dozen acres and plant it for horse feed. Charge $6 a square and $8-10 if they want to start picking through the pile. You will find takers if they are that desperate for horse feed.

I hate horses. I might touch one with my fork if it's on a plate, but otherwise they are outdated feedbags. Needless to say, if they don't raise cattle, people who own horses are among my least favorite on the continent.

Aaron":12pkryl4 said:
I hate horses. I might touch one with my fork if it's on a plate, but otherwise they are outdated feedbags. Needless to say, if they don't raise cattle, people who own horses are among my least favorite on the continent.

Wait until your area grows up even more and the 5 acres and a horse people are supplanted by the 5 houses per acre people. They don't want to see, smell, or hear your cows or the horses. A cow gets out they call the police. Shoot a squirrel and "shots fired" is reported to the police. Your dogs bark and it is reported to the police. You will be missing the horse people real quick.

Luckily I live 45 min from the biggest center within 2 hours of here (8,100 people) and all the horse people move to an area which is only 15 min out of that town. I live in the real 'cow country' of the region, and get astonished looks when I mention I live in Stratton, which they interpret as the middle of nowhere. :D Nope, not concerned about horse people. But they live close enough that I can take advantage of them if I want to.

Latest posts