Horse Meat for the Hungry ?

Help Support CattleToday:

One of my rodeo traveling partners went on a "wild west show" to Japan in the early 70's. Several years before there was a show that went to Europe. Those guys in Europe nearly starved. So part of their contract stated that they would have steak available every night. He said the steaks kept getting smaller and smaller and tougher and tougher. Then one day there was big juice steaks. On about the third day a guy from South Dakota was sitting across from him. The S. D. guy said this is pretty good horse isn't it? He said that he prefers his beef rare but his horse medium well.
The horse I ate was deep red, no fat, and kind of stringy. A horse we bought to be a practice bucking horse. It ran head long into a RR tie post and broke its neck so we butchered it out. Some rodeo cowboys I knew in college were poor and hungry. They bought a fat Welsh pony at a horse sale for about $40. They were still poor but they weren't hungry.

Dave Some rodeo cowboys I knew in college were poor and hungry. They bought a fat Welsh pony at a horse sale for about $40. They were still poor but they weren't hungry. [/quote said:
One of my immigrant neighbors claims the best sausage comes from a fat sow and an old donkey.
You could by a hog and a horse in this area for a $100 total... :idea:

Back when you couldn't hardly give away a good colt, I knew a guy that had a bunch of colts and dogs, said he'd kill the colts to feed to his dogs before he'd give them away. I don't blame him,I'd probably do the same. My grandpa said they fed the soldiers horse back when he was in WW2, said it wasn't bad.

Little Joe said:
Back when you couldn't hardly give away a good colt, I knew a guy that had a bunch of colts and dogs, said he'd kill the colts to feed to his dogs before he'd give them away.
Actually that bucking horse that broke his neck went more to dog food than what we ate. But the dogs didn't get the back straps and a few other choice cuts.

There is no real good reason to not utilize the meat from a horse except as has been stated for the do-gooder jerks. How many horses were turned out to wander and fend for themselves here a few years back when the owners didn't have the money to buy hay and all during that drought? And people were out of work and all..... Better they had gone to slaughter than to get just turned out.
Never ate it, wouldn't be afraid to try it. Have had a few tough steaks over the years.... bet it is good in bologna, summer sausage and snack sticks....

Stocker Steve said:
SBMF 2015 said:
The 2nd week in class we were taught that horses are red meat animals.

How does it taste compared to Jersey beef? Does it blend well with pork?

Grandma wants to buy a pony for the Granddaughters, but I need an out if the pony temperament does not pass.

I've always heard it was sweeter than beef. Good Luck.

Redgully said:
The biggest problem with horse meat is the drugs used on horses can be very toxic to humans so that needs to be taken into consideration.

Thats mostly propaganda by horse nuts trying to eliminate horse slaughter.

M.Magis said:
Redgully said:
The biggest problem with horse meat is the drugs used on horses can be very toxic to humans so that needs to be taken into consideration.

Thats mostly propaganda by horse nuts trying to eliminate horse slaughter.

You are most likely right but i still kind of believe it. My sister has lots of horses and they are right into polo cross, i reckon they inject their horses almost daily at times. Not sure how many of those injections would be allowed in a meat animal. True you could do a set withholding time before slaughter for them but after all those injections i wouldn't want to chew on it.

76 Bar said:
In my CA days had a neighbor who was a transplant from Eastern OR. He and his family were rough & tumble save for his saintly wife. Ole Martin married off one of his girls...big county wide shindig. The main course was pit BBQ. Attendees noted it had an unusual/distinct flavor but nonetheless raved about it. Always the practical joker, Martin didn't divulge it was one of his old horses until the last of the champagne & wedding cake was polished off. :roll:

Back when I was still at home my father and I raised rabbits. We'd occasionally throw a few on the pit (split in half) when we had people over. Of course they'd take a look at them on the pit and ask what it was. Our usual answer was "house cat."

By the way, any way you can cook chicken you can also cook rabbit, and the rabbit will be better.

Rafter S said:
My wife lived in Belgium for 5 years or so when she was a girl. She said they fried French fries in horse fat, and they were the best she's ever had.

I believe the belgium horse was originally developed for draft and meat.

I know a man who made a fortune exporting live horses to Japan. They raise draft horse breeds. The ones they ship have to reach a certain weight by the time they turn 2 years old when they get shipped. They fly the horses in cargo fitted 747's.

Stocker Steve said:
Dave Some rodeo cowboys I knew in college were poor and hungry. They bought a fat Welsh pony at a horse sale for about $40. They were still poor but they weren't hungry. [/quote said:
One of my immigrant neighbors claims the best sausage comes from a fat sow and an old donkey.
I have a welsh pony, and they do fatten easy, but what a shame to slaughter such a fine little animal when the world is full of Appaloosas that are much more deserving!

BFE said:
Stocker Steve said:
I have a welsh pony, and they do fatten easy, but what a shame to slaughter such a fine little animal when the world is full of Appaloosas that are much more deserving!
I don't think they could afford a full size horse. Although some Appys aren't full size.
A guy I knew dad bought horses for a kill plant north of Seattle 30 years ago. One day he told me that he hauled a good load to the plant. 26 foot trailer and everyone of them was an Arab.

Two things. First one of my sons and a friend buthered a young gelding who had an attitude. They gave us some of the meat. It was very red but tasted fine. My wife refused to eat any but the son's family and friend,s family had no problems, cheap meat as the gelding was free. Also had a relative from France who prefered horse meat to others. Always looking for the odd chance to have some. All I know, farmguiy

26 foot trailer and everyone of them was an Arab.
Not surprised as that era coincided with the repercussions of overinflated sales hobby mentality & the eventual tax laws overhaul.
Had Arabs since I was a kid decades ago. Tough & very cow savvy. Don't fit well with yahoo cowboys. 8)

76 Bar said:
Not surprised as that era coincided with the repercussions of overinflated sales hobby mentality & the eventual tax laws overhaul.
Had Arabs since I was a kid decades ago. Tough & very cow savvy. Don't fit well with yahoo cowboys. 8)
I knew someone wouldn't like that statement. At that time in that area Arabs became the thing. Lots of backyard horse owners bred crap to crap and raised a lot of sorry horses that they claimed as Arabs. Emptying those out of the country was not a bad thing.

Dave said:
76 Bar said:
I knew someone wouldn't like that statement. At that time in that area Arabs became the thing. Lots of backyard horse owners bred crap to crap and raised a lot of sorry horses that they claimed as Arabs. Emptying those out of the country was not a bad thing.

Kinda like in recent years there have been all those listings on craigslist for "Angus" cattle, with horns and/or white faces or spots?

I knew someone wouldn't like that statement.
Don't hold it against ya Dave! Isn't that the case with everything under the sun and especially when painted with a broad brush.
At that time in that area Arabs became the thing. Lots of backyard horse owners bred crap to crap and raised a lot of sorry horses that they claimed as Arabs. Emptying those out of the country was not a bad thing.
Not sure of the specific area you're referring to per se but WA state has a long and notable history of being home to numerous exceptional Arabian horse breeders including a handful who were internationally respected. Back yard breeders is deemed a pejorative but that's not necessarily always the case. To reiterate my original point the tax laws of the 80's weren't conducive to the best interests of horses regardless of breed.

Latest posts