Horse Meat for the Hungry ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I graduated from an Ag college with a HUGE equine program. Freshman Ani Sci is a mixed class of Ag Business, Ag Production, Horticulture, and Equine. The 2nd week in class we were taught that horses are red meat animals.
No one should have to steel to eat. Anyone who can butcher a horse has to have some skills with a knife. To bad they can't get hooked up with a butcher shop and put those skills to work.

Would it be considered "horrific" if it happened to cattle?
There's no reason horses shouldn't be eaten and of course in many places they are. Not that stealing someone else's is okay.

M.Magis said:
Would it be considered "horrific" if it happened to cattle?
There's no reason horses shouldn't be eaten and of course in many places they are. Not that stealing someone else's is okay.

Of course it would. And it happens with alarming frequency. Low life scum goes into someone's pasture and butchers their cattle. Probably about 8 years ago there was a pile of hides on the road next to our west pasture. It's on an incline so don't know if they were dumped or slid off the back of a truck or trailer. Same thing in another county.

If someone wants to eat horse meat, that's their choice. Trespassing and stealing is not okay.

I know a guy who takes unwanted horses. Blind, crippled, or crazy it doesn't matter as long as they are in decent flesh. He hauls them home, sometimes feeds them for a while, and butchers them. Feeds 5 kids on free horse meat. I have eaten horse meat before it isn't bad. Better than somethings, worse than others.

Dad told me that during WWII when you had to use ration stamps to buy meat you could go to the horse meat market and get all you wanted. No stamps required.

And then here in KY they have fundraising and organizaions specifically for retired, unwanted thoroughbreds. Feeding them, providing pasture, board, etc. because breeders don't give two shizz once they are done with them. Azz backwords. Starving horses over starving kids.

Rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's legal in parts of Europe i believe

Horse meat is utilized around the world and in numerous areas is considered a delicacy. Unfortunately in the USA crusaders of misguided anti slaughter proponents managed to abolish horse slaughter which previously was governed by USDA sanctions regarding humane killing and inspection for human consumption. The result was unwanted/estranged horses have since been shipped out of this country primarily to Mexico where often as not hacked to death while alive.

Even though there is a moratorium on execution in Illinois. I think there is still a law on the books about hanging cattle thieves. The same would apply to horses. Whether they leave by hoof or by cooler.

Texas was one of the last places to have horse slaughter plants. They had two. They worked in less populated areas and didn't advertise their business to keep the nuts at bay. The horse lovers finally after years of trying, got them shut down by getting the USDA to not fund inspectors for the plants. This lasted for a couple years until the horse overs found out that ol Trigger instead of having a quick humane death was now having to take a 12 to 24 hour ride on crowded truck to Mexico only to get hacked to death by man with a machete.
So they reversed the ruling and now allow horse slaughter plants in Texas once again.

Problem is, the two plants in Texas that were shut down had no interest in re-opening. The juice is no longer worth the squeeze as someone on this board is prone to say. So the horses sold at many of the sale barns around the state are still trucked to Mexico. One of those laws of unintended consequences.

SBMF 2015 said:
The 2nd week in class we were taught that horses are red meat animals.

How does it taste compared to Jersey beef? Does it blend well with pork?

Grandma wants to buy a pony for the Granddaughters, but I need an out if the pony temperament does not pass.

Stocker Steve said:
SBMF 2015 said:
The 2nd week in class we were taught that horses are red meat animals.

How does it taste compared to Jersey beef? Does it blend well with pork?

Grandma wants to buy a pony for the Granddaughters, but I need an out if the pony temperament does not pass.

I've never tried it, but I've been told that the flavor is richer and gamier than beef. It's a very deep red color.

My wife lived in Belgium for 5 years or so when she was a girl. She said they fried French fries in horse fat, and they were the best she's ever had.

In my CA days had a neighbor who was a transplant from Eastern OR. He and his family were rough & tumble save for his saintly wife. Ole Martin married off one of his girls...big county wide shindig. The main course was pit BBQ. Attendees noted it had an unusual/distinct flavor but nonetheless raved about it. Always the practical joker, Martin didn't divulge it was one of his old horses until the last of the champagne & wedding cake was polished off. :roll:

76 Bar said:
In my CA days had a neighbor who was a transplant from Eastern OR. He and his family were rough & tumble save for his saintly wife. Ole Martin married off one of his girls...big county wide shindig. The main course was pit BBQ. Attendees noted it had an unusual/distinct flavor but nonetheless raved about it. Always the practical joker, Martin didn't divulge it was one of his old horses until the last of the champagne & wedding cake was polished off. :roll:

Epic! :lol: :lol:

Latest posts