Horse meat and animal tracking

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Remember all the hoopla we were fed a few years ago about how we were going to have to conform and install a federal animal tracking system on all our cattle? Remember how they told us the UK and Europe had exceptional systems that we should follow because they work so well? Remember the horse meat found on the shelves in the UK just a few weeks ago?

Well I have a friend in the UK who is a tad bit more liberal than I and I have been ever so gently ribbing him in a very politically correct manner about his Nanny State. Today he gave me a little more informatiion regarding the horse meat and their exceptional tracking system that I thought I'd share with ya'll.

Our tracking system is ****ed. There was a big investigation on TV last week, in to how horses have found their way in to the food chain. As they have a unique ID, the gov said it was impossible to hide any dodgy past.
What a crock of ****. The programming showed that the official documentation at a slaughter house showed the same horse had been slaughtered and processed over 200 times

I was talking to a knackerman the other day (not sure if you have knackermen. They collect ill/old animals and sell them on to slaughter houses. Usually to be made in to glue). He said horse has been going in to our food for years. When I asked why gov hadn't done anything about it, he said they were happy with the situation as long as it could be blamed on someone else.

This is basically exactly what happened. All the horsemeat came from the UK, buy gov managed to put all the blame on the French and Romanians.

If that is seen as a decent system, I'll show my ass in the the palace

Just a little information I thought would be helpful to remember when they try and shove this down our throat once again.

How is a tracking system relevant to whether or not horse meat gets mixed with beef? I don't see the connection.

If the tracking system worked anywhere near like we were told their tracking system worked they would have known right away where it came from and why it was in there.

Jogeephus":1gqmnhpp said:
If the tracking system worked anywhere near like we were told their tracking system worked they would have known right away where it came from and why it was in there.
OK, I think that's true for the prevention of accidental mixing but not true for the deliberate circumvention of the tracking system. Horse meat being cheaper than beef makes this look less like an accident and more like a profiteering scandal.

ga.prime":3dt88var said:
Jogeephus":3dt88var said:
OK, I think that's true for the prevention of accidental mixing but not true for the deliberate circumvention of the tracking system. Horse meat being cheaper than beef makes this look less like an accident and more like a profiteering scandal.

I find it ironic when they say they knew nothing about it since to move an animal you must fill out an application and have the health inspector on site to see the animal loaded on a certified livestock hauler's trailer and before the animal is unloaded another health inspector must be on site to complete the paperwork to unload the animal at the new location.

My friend bought some weiners and by the time the hurtles were cleared he was delivered pigs.