Horse flies

Help Support CattleToday:

Mrcopier

Reaction score
The horse flies are horrible this year here in E Texas. Anyone else having issues with them? They are making the dog go 😜 crazy

Hate them! I keep a fly swatter in my Polaris and will randomly smack 'em on the cattle or entertain myself by doing the scoop/smash (see how fast your reflexes are: scoop 'em up with your hand & smash 'em on the cows back).

Yes, I am having problems with them as well. Permethrin does not seem to phase them. What works???
I have a flock of birds that eat them, so does my dog. Makes a mess when they splatter themselves on the house. I used to set out barrels of soapy water, can catch a few hundred per barrel. Make excellent fishing bait, catch them by hand and tear one wing off, throw a handful or two into the water to get the fish's attention first.

Yes sir on cattle. I sprayed yesterday and this morning seen fresh blood on back of a heifer. Small flies were gone, but horse flies still buzzing around.

Same in NE Texas. This year I've seen an increase in horse fly. Nothing seems to deter them except a swatter. I've used permethrin, Ultra Saber, and ivermectin pour-on. I think they got bigger and stronger.

Latest posts