Horse Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

An 11% sweet feed from the local mill for everyone but the old stud horse (Equine Senior) and the nursing mare (Omolene 300). They all get one scoop twice a day.

TexasBred":1it6h33q said:
Was just wondering what everyone's preferred horse feed is.

That depends on the horse, and what they are being asked to do. We've currently got an 8 year old mare who does very well on grass hay only, and we also have a 24 year old mare who needs a little supplementation - said supplementation is satisfied quite nicely with a little senior feed once a day. Obviously, if we had performance horses, the feed would be different.

I feed a 12% alfalfa, oats. It's a pelleted feed. I have a 21 year old mammoth jack and a 13 month old grulla filly, that stays fat as a pig on it.

I agree 100% with ms, it all depends what your horse is being asked to do. During winter ours do very little other than walk to an from the stalls. They get 10% grain (about 2 or 3 lbs a day) and good grass hay. If we are riding or working them hard they get more grain and hay. Another factor is to worm at least every 3 or 4 months, rotating the wormers. If they are clean of worms they don't need as much nutrition, (meaning the parisites would not be stealing it from them).

Alan

Our standard work diet is alfalfa, two coffee cans rolled barley, pound of calf manna divided in two feedings. Heavy work gets more hay and grain. Slack time is kicked out on range to find their own.

Got one old pet I'm feeding dollars to (senior vittles). Should off him, but he was a hard worker and I can't do it.

pasture.

alfalfa/grass hay mix in the winter or if we run out of pasture. grain very rarely as a treat or special occasion.

msscamp":kjawj4a1 said:
TexasBred":kjawj4a1 said:
Was just wondering what everyone's preferred horse feed is.

That depends on the horse, and what they are being asked to do. We've currently got an 8 year old mare who does very well on grass hay only, and we also have a 24 year old mare who needs a little supplementation - said supplementation is satisfied quite nicely with a little senior feed once a day. Obviously, if we had performance horses, the feed would be different.

Was just curious about everyone's ideas about feeding. This one although not totally complete is the best so far. :clap: :clap:

Agree with everyone else...depends on the horse and his activity level.

We feed Safechoice as a staple. Our horses are performance horses, so dependings on their workload, that dictates the amount they get. My husband's 5 year old stallion gets ridden more then my 16 year old mare, so he obviously gets more then her...

I also will mix a 12% sweet feed in with the safechoice for my broodmare.

We feed freechoice Coastal hay. In fact, my son's pony gets NO grain at all, just hay.

And suppliments...I used to use a feed through joint suppliment..highly recognized and expensive. I spoke with a friend of ours whose degree is in animal nuturition. He informed me that the feed through joint suppliments...well, he said a particle of glucosomine was so big, it was almost inpossible for it to be absorbed through the small intestine wall..so my horses were pooping out my expensive suppliment! LOL Im sticking with once yearling Legend shots for joint health now!

spinandslide":3gueyig7 said:

We feed Safechoice as a staple. Our horses are performance horses, so dependings on their workload, that dictates the amount they get. My husband's 5 year old stallion gets ridden more then my 16 year old mare, so he obviously gets more then her...

I also will mix a 12% sweet feed in with the safechoice for my broodmare.

We feed freechoice Coastal hay. In fact, my son's pony gets NO grain at all, just hay.

And suppliments...I used to use a feed through joint suppliment..highly recognized and expensive. I spoke with a friend of ours whose degree is in animal nuturition. He informed me that the feed through joint suppliments...well, he said a particle of glucosomine was so big, it was almost inpossible for it to be absorbed through the small intestine wall..so my horses were pooping out my expensive suppliment! LOL Im sticking with once yearling Legend shots for joint health now!

Safe Choice is a Low Starch feed. When you mix that sweet feed with it that all goes out the window.

spinandslide":2j3lf6e3 said:

It's not just the activity level - the owner also has to take into consideration the stage of life, whether the horse is a gelding/stallion/mare. If a mare, is she pregnant - if so, at what stage - or is she lactating? If a stallion - is he breeding, or not, if breeding, how many mares. Is the horse a hard keeper, or an easy keeper? Whether they are on pasture - and if so, what type of forage is available and what kind of protein does it deliver, if an elderly mare - any problems with digestion, chewing, etc, climate also plays a part - there is a whole lot more to feeding a horse than just deciding how much hay/feed to throw in front of them twice a day. What is being asked of the horse above and beyond the above mentioned scenarios? Most horses are asked to do multiple things, there are usually things happening behind the scenes, and they have to be fed accordingly if they are going to be able to perform successfully.