Horse Drawn Equipment

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I am pulling great grandpas horse drawn equipment up to my " hobby " shed and plan on cleaning them up and painting them and putting in front of my house I plan on painting the john deere sickle mower john green mostly with yellow wheels but this mccormick deering cultivator I have no idea what it should be painted can any of yall tell me I have looked online and tried to figure what he original colors were all i found is body red and wheels yellow is that correct ? I also have his old horse drawn plow i dont remember who made that though.

Gee they look in real good nick. I reckon they look good just that metalic colour. I didn't realise that old stuff actually had paint on it once.
Ken

bigbull338":3e8rmgne said:
man they look real good.

Thanks only issue is the cultivator wheel is bent from the shed it was under fell down after a wind storm but you can't really tell unless you look hard good metal... I thought about sand blasting it but thats too much work I will use grinder and knock as much rust off as possible with the wire wheels and wire brush prime the paint.

Well I finally got around to starting on this project I pulled the sickle mower up into the yard and my grandmother asks me are you going to fix it up. I said yea was going to get it sand blasted and clean it up and paint it and put it out front in the yard... She says yea its in good shape and said do you want me to paint it for you ??? I knew when she asked she secretely wanted to paint it. I said sure grandma that would help me out alot knowing already she wanted to do it and have kids help her I will not be sandblasting i scraped big flakes off as much as I can and let her start painting my wife said within half hour of me bringing and having our convo she started painting. It was her dads equipment and she started telling stories about the good ol days. I am happy it makes her happy to do it. Whatever paint scheme she decides to do is ok with me.

Sky, I wouldn't sandblast it. Just wire brush it and paint it.

I've got an old Deere sickle mower that I've been wanting to do the same thing to it. Also have a tomato setter that is a mechanical wonder. This thing takes two persons riding on it feeding a wheel that has fingers that opens at the top and bottom as the wheel turns. it closes on the plant as it goes by and opens to release the plant in a furrow at the bottom. Rollers close the furrow around the plant and the machine gives the newly planted tomato (and sweet potato) plants a shot of water.

lavacarancher":3et3dmh7 said:
Sky, I wouldn't sandblast it. Just wire brush it and paint it.

I've got an old Deere sickle mower that I've been wanting to do the same thing to it. Also have a tomato setter that is a mechanical wonder. This thing takes two persons riding on it feeding a wheel that has fingers that opens at the top and bottom as the wheel turns. it closes on the plant as it goes by and opens to release the plant in a furrow at the bottom. Rollers close the furrow around the plant and the machine gives the newly planted tomato (and sweet potato) plants a shot of water.

I may do the wire brush or wire wheel on the grinder but shes already started painting so i can only do it on parts she hasnt painted yet. That setter you have sounds cool as all get out. I have been looking for a dump rake but havent found one yet someone stole wheels off my great grandfathers .

skyhightree1, I know this thread is about restoring the old iron, but I would suggest you get a recorder and get your grandmother involved with the painting and record her conversations. It will be priceless to you someday.

D2Cat":3kyv6sc5 said:
skyhightree1, I know this thread is about restoring the old iron, but I would suggest you get a recorder and get your grandmother involved with the painting and record her conversations. It will be priceless to you someday.

Great suggestion.

We have my wife's 85 year old grandmother on a DVD I shot of her originally on 8mm taking us all through the old farm house that was built by HER grandfather in 1880. Priceless indeed!

D2Cat":27nykfzz said:

Excellent idea my wife was snapping pics of her painting without her knowing lol She has started and its looking good so far it had been raining so she couldn't get much done. I will get some pics up.

Latest posts