horse can't get up w/out help

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry I was unable to get back to all of you sooner. we experienced a huge ice storm last wk end putting us out of power for 5 days and now trying to catch up w. things.

so, here is where we are at: my equine vet who is quite respected around, really believes it is arthritis- the symptoms just aren't epm related. he doesn't believe the spinal tap is necessary at this time-my horse once up, from laying down, can trot and reel around when doing some manuvering checks.He is quite stiff in both hips having a farrier friend look at him-so I am going to have a horse chiropractor check him out when I can get a hold of her,again a person that has done some great things w.some horses in the area thinks the hips are locked up . my vet has him on a perscription from a pharmacist basically a bute power placed in his feed so he doesnt' become immue. He now lays down much less maybe 4 or 5 days between so I don't have to get the tractor out as much. we will go with this untill summer to see how he works and make some more decisions then.
Thank you to all who have responded and made suggestions and shown concern.

putnamd":1czimasd said:
Sorry I was unable to get back to all of you sooner. we experienced a huge ice storm last wk end putting us out of power for 5 days and now trying to catch up w. things.

so, here is where we are at: my equine vet who is quite respected around, really believes it is arthritis- the symptoms just aren't epm related. he doesn't believe the spinal tap is necessary at this time-my horse once up, from laying down, can trot and reel around when doing some manuvering checks.He is quite stiff in both hips having a farrier friend look at him-so I am going to have a horse chiropractor check him out when I can get a hold of her,again a person that has done some great things w.some horses in the area thinks the hips are locked up . my vet has him on a perscription from a pharmacist basically a bute power placed in his feed so he doesnt' become immue. He now lays down much less maybe 4 or 5 days between so I don't have to get the tractor out as much. we will go with this untill summer to see how he works and make some more decisions then.
Thank you to all who have responded and made suggestions and shown concern.

Good luck,
Alan

Alan":jfubmlhq said:
rustydude":jfubmlhq said:
Putnamd , If it is EPM I hope Alan is correct about the Bayer product especially if it is a cure. Our Vet , Dr. Putnam indicated there was no cure for our friends mare and the second opinion backed him up... Good luck and keep us posted.

I may have not been completly right on the word "cure", but I'm sure Bayer makes it and it's a single treatment (seems like once a day for 7 days, may be more). And your horse may still have EPM but not the effects. It's called Marquis here is the link:

http://www.bayerdvm.com/product_antipro ... 2b96619195

Unfortunately there is no "cure" for EPM even thought if caught early enough the horse can seem to be cured, they can relapse. Marquis is a great treatment and can make your horse just like new, but depending on how far advanced the disease is, it might not work at all. It's very expensive, but for some people it's worth it to save their horse.
Did you notice any signs of weakness, uncordination, or stumbling in your horse before he went down? His balance off, even slightly? These are some of the early signs on EPM.
Good luck.

Latest posts