Horse Auctions

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
I've been searching for way too long for any quality auction services for registered gaited horses. No luck to date. Not interested in a "killer auction" by any means! Auctions that routinely sell horses for minimum of $1500 to $2500 upto to "how high can they go?".

Anyone have any auction sources or leads in Texas, OK, CO, NM areas???

Yalls prices are high i bought a mare and she was preg and she was also registered paint and quarter horse.. for $350 and she is a really good horse

Cobbkid

I just sold a stud colt at the Stephenville horse sale. Got 775 for him. He was registered but I sold him as not registered (don't ask long story) and a 3 yr old. Broke as they come and ready to go to work. There were a few that went pretty high, 3400 is the highest I remember. The young, unregistered and unbroke ones went for the 250-350 as someone else pointed out but if you don't get what you want P.O. 'em and take'em back home with you. If you got a good horse it'll probably bring close to what you want.

Running Arrow Bill":2e972bbl said:
I've been searching for way too long for any quality auction services for registered gaited horses. No luck to date. Not interested in a "killer auction" by any means! Auctions that routinely sell horses for minimum of $1500 to $2500 upto to "how high can they go?".

is there that big of a demand for gaited horses in your part of texas. if you were around here you would have several market options. but looks like quarter horses would be a hot item in texas

Running Arrow Bill":22xndnt3 said:

I understand your frustration Bill, I have been to the "horse auctions" and yes you can get a unbroke horse for a couple of hundred, but who knows what you are getting and how well it will turn out, not saying you can't get a good ranch horse at one. There is not a good auction or sale for what I would call a good quaility mid level horse, $4000 to $10000 horse. I deal with this type of horse because most of the time you know what you are getting, as far as , temperment, movement, athletic ability, smarts and size.... most of the time. But I find most of the time you have to sell these horses private treaty or at a sale after a show, which you may need to show in.

Good luck,
Alan

Alan":1hu8xewc said:
Running Arrow Bill":1hu8xewc said:

I understand your frustration Bill, I have been to the "horse auctions" and yes you can get a unbroke horse for a couple of hundred, but who knows what you are getting and how well it will turn out, not saying you can't get a good ranch horse at one. There is not a good auction or sale for what I would call a good quaility mid level horse, $4000 to $10000 horse. I deal with this type of horse because most of the time you know what you are getting, as far as , temperment, movement, athletic ability, smarts and size.... most of the time. But I find most of the time you have to sell these horses private treaty or at a sale after a show, which you may need to show in.

Good luck,
Alan

I hear ya Alan!

Never ceases to amaze me that people are selling 1+ year old "horses" for under $500. We all know that a properly cared for and managed horse will cost around $1000 a year to keep (hay, feed if any, minerals, vaccinations, farrier, etc.)...more if one has to "stable a horse off their property".

Of course, if the seller is desperate to cut their losses, then they can sell one for under $500. Then...there are those "wild" horses people end up with that are untrained (e.g., not halter trained even at several years old) that they find them unmanageable or even dangerous.

With the Peruvian Pasos, they generally have to be around two years old before you are allowed to show them "in halter" (running alongside horse in arena). Can't show them in bit until age 4.

On a sidebar, our 20 month old Peruvian Paso filly had cost us over $2500 by the time she foaled (breeding fee, mare care, transporting mare to/from breeders, etc.). Not exactly a $500 filly...lol.

Cobbkid":6nznk34k said:
Yalls prices are high i bought a mare and she was preg and she was also registered paint and quarter horse.. for $350 and she is a really good horse

Cobbkid

Not really... There are probably fewer than 30,000 pureblood registered Peruvian Pasos in the world; and, almost all PP's are registered since all offspring add to the Stallion and Mare values. Compare this to quarterhorses and other very popular and abundant breeds. Any Peruvian Paso breeding fee for a decent Stallion generally costs $750 and up plus mare care, etc.

ALACOWMAN":1y8hwhzd said:
Running Arrow Bill":1y8hwhzd said:

is there that big of a demand for gaited horses in your part of texas. if you were around here you would have several market options. but looks like quarter horses would be a hot item in texas

Almost zilch demand for gaited horses in West Texas. This is huge quarterhorse country. Our Tennessee Walking Horses are consigned and sold through a large breeder in East Texas. Few (if any) Peruvian Paso ranches accept others horses for consignment sale (they're promoting their OWN horses); when they do, they want $500 to $800 a month board and "finish training", often a 3-6 month minimum.

RAB,

I dont know if you would be interested. But here in North West Arkansas there is a guy who stable's and train's gaited horse's. He picked up where his dad left off. His dad was Joe Webb i beleave was his name bred, raised and trained 3 world champion gaited horse's back in the 60's and also operated a riding school that is now where his son train's gaited horse's. The son discontinued the riding school but still stable's and train's gaited horse's.

But if he is still in business he probably would be able to point you in the right direction of finding the type of horse's you are looking for. His Dad Joe Webb was highly respected and known by people in the gaited horse community. He wrote several books. I have one of them myself. I own a couple of gaited horse's myself.

It is none of my business but i would'nt put to much emphaise on the price tag of a horse. The reason i say that is. My wife barrel race's and we are all the time going to different events. Some where high dollar horse's are involved. Barrel horse futuritys, derbys etc...., And i know of several people who will buy a $ 600 dollar horse and put a $ 30,000 price tag on it. And the sad part of it is they alot of time's make a sale. And the people who buys the horse does not have any idea what they really have. I told my wife the other day that was ridicolus that people will do that. These people will come up with some big name for their little barn and 10 to 20 acre's of land. Like " So & So stable's " profisional horse training etc...., and buy these cheap horse's and put a big price tag on them. And it just amaze's me that they find people who will buy horse's from them. If these people who pay $ 10 and $ 20,000 for these horse's only knew they would be sick.

For Stepper...

Just wanted to clarify my earlier post. I am not looking to buy a horse. I have a Peruvian I am trying to sell. The comments I made reflected my frustration with marketing Peruvian Paso horses; and, the reason we are not breeding them any more and only concentrating on our Tennessee Walking Horses which we have an excellent sales outlet for with another quality TWH ranch.

Our horses are quality: conformation, temperament, lineage, and easily trained. We just don't have the local resources to train the Peruvians and it is not cost-effective to take one of them hundreds of miles for lengthy boarding and training. If worse comes to worse, we will keep our Peruvians rather than sell them for "sale barn" prices. Other option: Donate one to a needy Peruvian afictionado who has facility and ability to properly train one into bit.

Off my soap box now... ;-)

R ^ 5":3mooak4g said:
Gaited Horses and Longhorns :shock:

Yep...like both! Lol.

Have 7 gaited horses.

Longhorns and horses all have their separate pastures, pens. Don't mix them.

However, 4 years ago at our previous place we owned we had a yearling LH bull that was very calm and grazing in an area next to our house & yard. Our TWH Stallion was also in that area. Stallion decided the young bull was a "predator". Stallion chased him around the small pasture and bull crashed into our yard fence. We didn't try THAT scene again! That is called "One Trial Learning"...lol.

jnowack":gejdz0rd said:
HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT LISTING THEM ON EQUINE.COM?

The horses we have for sale have been listed on numerous horse sites as well as on both our websites. Also have listing on the Cattle Today's six affiliate adv sites.

Seems like most of ads are for horses ranging from "Free Horse" to the $2500 range. Occasionally some top quality horses much higher listed. Advs seem to be mainly quarterhorses, paints, and other cow horses as well as a very few "gaited" horses.

Latest posts