Horse and Pony Sales ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
We are seeing less hay for sale, and more horses and ponies for sale, here. Prices seem steady - - about U$S 0.85 per pound for smaller horses and about U$S 200 per head for ponies. What are you seeing?

Last edited:
Horse prices have sky rocketed. Maybe the usual winter slump,but it's still higher than the normal highs. Kid broke ponies $400-1,200. Back in June I tried to buy a grade paint gelding pony for my son. 10yr, 13.1hands, been there, done that, gathered cattle, pushed calves to the chute, stopped and backed. When the gavel fell I had him bought at $2,250, they no saled him.

Wife bought a nice little 20 y.o. Haflinger mare for $2K back in the fall...for our now-1yr old granddaughter. Girl selling her could have easily gotten $3K or more... but she knew she was going to a good home, and she wanted that more than the $$.
Have seen some crazy high prices on some of the FB horse sites... and it looks like folks are paying them.
IDK anything about slaughter prices...

IDK anything about slaughter prices..
Around here slaughter prices have no effect on riding horse prices. Except for the profit margin for Amish broke ponies. They'll buy them as loose horses take them home and have the kids ride the snot out of them for 6-12mos. Bring them back to a sale and turn a $100 pony into a $1,000 pony.

Latest posts