Horse Allergy question

Help Support CattleToday:

horseshoe

Reaction score
My daughter has a pony that is apparently alergic to bug and/or fly bites. He breaks out in a rash of itchy bumps and is generally quite miserable from it thruout most of the summer months. Have any of you had any similar experience with your horses and if so do you know any relief or cure. Possibly a particular feed that would help. Thankyou in advance for any response.

I have had good luck with Platinum for keeping the reactions
at bay. ( feed additive) Also check out Springtime , they have
many different feed additives to use. Your vet may have some
ideas , also- occasionally I have had to use steroids for
a really bad bug reaction. Also use fly sheets, boots ,ect and
limit turn out time. :)

Have you had your vet check the pony? The pony may have Neck Threadworms (Onchocerca cervicalis).

When the larvae migrate, they cause itching and bumps along the neck and shoulders. The horse/pony is fine during the winter, but soon as warmer weather comes, the worms become active. Many people think that the horse or pony is allergic to flies & gnats, but the problem is deeper rooted.

Some animals are more sensitive than others to the parasite. It is extremely difficult to cure. Regular monthly deworming with ivermectin can help.

Good luck.

If all of the above is completed and the veterinarian cannot solve the problem and perhaps even the nearest veterinarian teaching college does not have an answer - I do.

Lots of good animals available and real cheap.

Replace it.

Good luck with this one,

Bez>

Latest posts