Horns

Help Support CattleToday:

jnm303

Reaction score
I have a heifer and a steer that have horns; didn't get to them when I could burn them off. What do you figure I'll get docked per pound when I sell as feeders? I'm trying to figure whether I should get vet to come and remove.

If dun is right (and I don't think that would be to far off) a nickel a pound would equal $1 per 20 lbs. or $5 per 100. If you sold at 1000 lbs. you have lost $50. Our vet wouldn't come out for less then $50. I would leave them.

jnm303":17xdmp4r said:
I have a heifer and a steer that have horns; didn't get to them when I could burn them off. What do you figure I'll get docked per pound when I sell as feeders? I'm trying to figure whether I should get vet to come and remove.
How large are the horns? Good chance you could dehorn them yourself.

TexasBred":9wc7hs0a said:
jnm303":9wc7hs0a said:
How large are the horns? Good chance you could dehorn them yourself.
:nod: Barns de-horner

I just whack em off and use the electric brander to cauterize.

Been breeding to polled bulls for over 25 years - but some were hetero polled, and some of my original cows were (de)horned, so the horn gene is sliding along, unexpressed, in some of my cows. Had a half-dozen or so horned heifers born in the last calf crop before we went to the current Angus bull. No longer have Barnes, Keystones, or even a dehorning iron on hand.
Took the horns off those heifers, at weaning, by placing two 'green cheerio' elastrator bands as far down at the base of each horn as possible - had to trim hair away at the base of the horn to get 'em well-seated - and I did pre-vaccinate with tetanus toxoid and boostered it at the time I put the bands on.
Heifers shook their heads and pawed at 'em for 10-15 minutes, but after that - nothing. Horns dropped off about 6 weeks later. No bleeding, no flies, no holes in their head to deal with.
Yeah, they have kind of a 'square-headed' look to 'em - not quite as 'purty' as the ones I used to dehorn with OB wire - but a whole lot less trouble, and I'd say, a lot less painful for the calves.

Latest posts