Horns

Help Support CattleToday:

I shoot at any stray dog that comes on to my place. You may not want the Lions shot, but I don't want to have to pay for the loss of one of my Horses or cows. You try to explain to a 7yr old why her horse is dead. Predators stay on their side of the fence, the lead will stay on mine. Terri

[email protected]

Fear? Fear has nothing to do with it. They are fantastic creatures and I admire them in many ways, but that doesn't change the fact that they are my adversary – just like coyotes or bad dogs. If an animal is a threat to my livestock it's a threat to my family and me, and it will be eliminated ASAP.

If you like big cats that much, I've got no problem with you feeding them your own calves. If you have a problem with me not wanting to feed them mine, sorry, but it won't change a thing. You'll just have to get over it somehow.

Craig-TX

Craig, I live out that way(Huntsville BC/S area). We haven't seen but a few bobcats here in the past couple of years. Our problem is coyotes. They are everywhere. I go out to check cows at dusk and will see at least one a night. Luckly we haven't lost a calf to a predator yet. Anyone else notice a boom in them the past couple of years?

[email protected]

Just curious, what are the laws concerning cougers in other states? Are they basically fair game like coyotes? I live in Minnesota, and there hasn't been too many couger/livestock problems as they are just starting to populate the state. Here we have wolves, and you can shoot them if you catch them chasing / eating your livestock, and you will be reimbursed a little bit for the cost of the lost stock. But I guess it's quite a hassle dealing with the DNR and have been told it's better to s.s.s. Coyotes on the other hand are fair game anytime you can get a shot at one.

I have no problem paying the fine because a 50-150 fine is worth not losing a couple hundred dollar animal. Like I've said we've lost two to lions and I'm ready to stop anymore from being killed. It's nothing to do with fear of them it's more payback than anything.

[email protected]

You'll lose more calves to poor management than a little kitty. I suggest that you spend more time on managing your genetics than getting in a huffy about a cat. That's what kills me this board people priorities and goals are so skewed, besides ALF their isn't one person on this board that represents the beef industry well. I'm brazen and brash and I tell it like it is. I hope the game warden visits you for christmas. Happy Holidays

[email protected]

I GOT TO THROW MY TWO CENTS IN. I WILL AGREE WITH ELF. WE DON'T NEED TO KILL EVERYTHING THAT KILL'S FOR A LIVING. COYOTES DO A LOT OF GOOD ON RODENT CONTROL. I HAVE HUNTED RODENTS ON DIFFERENT RANCHES AND SOME RANCHERS DON'T WANT COYOTES KILLED THEY KEEP THE DIGGERS AND SAGE RATS UNDER CONTROL. THEY DON'T FEEL THE COYOTE IS A THREAT TO CALVING. I LOST THREE CALVES ONE SPRING TO COYOTES OR COYOTE. MY FAULT BECAUSE I USED A SIMMENTAL THAT WAS A CALF KILLER AND ALL THREE WERE AT NIGHT DURING LABOR. THE TONGUES WERE CHEWED OFF WHILE THE COW WAS DOWN. I AM FAR MORE CONCERNED WITH DOGS. MY AREA SEEMS TO BE A FAVORITE PLACE FOR CITY FOLKS TO DUMP STRAY DOGS. I HAVE BOB CATS ON THE PLACE AND REALLY ENJOY SEEING THEM. NO PROBLEMS WITH LIVE STOCK, THEY WILL TAKE A HOUSE CAT AND I LIKE THAT BECAUSE PEOPLE DUMP THEM OFF TOO. SOME PROBLEMS WITH BEARS. HAD TO REMOVE WHAT WAS BRINGING THEM IN. I HAVE HAD MORE PROBLEMS WITH FLEAS FROM LETTING MY TROPHY BUCKS SLEEP IN THE BARN ON HOT DAYS. I GOT A FLYER IN MY BOX, IT SAID THERE WAS A COUGAR STOCKING SOME KIDS WILE WAITING FOR THE SCHOOL BUS ON MY ROAD. IT WAS ON THE RADIO TOO. IT WAS MY COUSINS KIDS AND THEY HAD SEEN A COUGAR WHILE WAITING FOR THE BUS. "BIG DIFFERENCE" I HAVE NOTHING ABAINST PEOPLE PROTECTING THERE LIVE STOCK. I KEEP A VARMINT RIFLE BY THE DOOR MYSELF. ON THE OTHER HAND TO SEE A COUGAR WHILE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD AND TO JUMP OUT AND OPEN UP ON IT WITH A HAND GUN IS TOTALLY THE WRONG THING TO DO. EVERY ANIMAL HAS IT'S PLACE ON THIS PLANET. USE SOME DESCRETION. KILL ONLY WHAT NEEDS KILLED AND IT'S BEST TO KEEP IT UNDER YOUR HAT.

Blackpower you're funny. Thanks for the management tip. Whew! How have I been making it all these years without your counsel?

Next time I see a cougar in the pasture I'll pause and recollect your advice. I'll consider my priorities as a cattleman, hone my management skills by pondering genetics, and strive to properly represent the beef industry.

After a thorough review of your recommendation, which will take about three nanoseconds, I'll dispatch the predator. Furthermore, if the laws of the land are as they should be, I'll collect a bounty.

Now back to you and your priorities Blackpower. You're right, you are brazen and brash. And you do tell it like it is, sometimes. This is one of the times you missed by a mile. Which is what makes you funny. Talk about priorities, in this thread you sound more like you belong in Greenpeace than the cattle industry. Funny funny funny.

Craig-TX

> You'll lose more calves to poor
> management than a little kitty. I
> suggest that you spend more time
> on managing your genetics than
> getting in a huffy about a cat.
> That's what kills me this board
> people priorities and goals are so
> skewed, besides ALF their isn't
> one person on this board that
> represents the beef industry well.
> I'm brazen and brash and I tell it
> like it is. I hope the game warden
> visits you for christmas. Happy
> Holidays

> Craig, I live out that
> way(Huntsville BC/S area). We
> haven't seen but a few bobcats
> here in the past couple of years.
> Our problem is coyotes. They are
> everywhere. I go out to check cows
> at dusk and will see at least one
> a night. Luckly we haven't lost a
> calf to a predator yet. Anyone
> else notice a boom in them the
> past couple of years?

It is against the law to kill buzzards and squirrells in Texas - however if I ever see the Mexican buzzards attacking my calves and/cows I will kill them. But, I will kill them only after I have done an environmental study, and the proper genetic study! Got to have my priorities in order! I do not believe if your livelihood is threatened you have to stand back and watch it destroyed.

[email protected]

As far as predators go, I don't know about lions, and have not had trouble with coyotes (so far). I live in east texas and over the years have lost a couple cows and their calves to mexican buzzards. We barely got there in time to save one cow and calf where they had bitten chunks out of the calf's hooves while it was being born. The cows were calving in the daytime and had some trouble. It was only three or four buzzards that I saw on one cow, but that was enough to kill the calf, and they butchered up a downed cow so badly that she bled to death before I could get back there with my gun. The most despicable thing was that after the cow was dead, they left the carcass alone!! Just wanted the fresh meat or blood, I guess. A memory that I try to forget was the sight of a mama cow that had a dead half born calf with all the meat picked off the calf's head and front legs!! The chicken farmers used throw their dead chickens out in their pastures and that drew the buzzards. We keep a close check on all our cattle, but there sre still times when a few buzzards could get there first.

> As far as predators go, I don't
> know about lions, and have not had
> trouble with coyotes (so far). I
> live in east texas and over the
> years have lost a couple cows and
> their calves to mexican buzzards.
> We barely got there in time to
> save one cow and calf where they
> had bitten chunks out of the
> calf's hooves while it was being
> born. The cows were calving in the
> daytime and had some trouble. It
> was only three or four buzzards
> that I saw on one cow, but that
> was enough to kill the calf, and
> they butchered up a downed cow so
> badly that she bled to death
> before I could get back there with
> my gun. The most despicable thing
> was that after the cow was dead,
> they left the carcass alone!! Just
> wanted the fresh meat or blood, I
> guess. A memory that I try to
> forget was the sight of a mama cow
> that had a dead half born calf
> with all the meat picked off the
> calf's head and front legs!! The
> chicken farmers used throw their
> dead chickens out in their
> pastures and that drew the
> buzzards. We keep a close check on
> all our cattle, but there sre
> still times when a few buzzards
> could get there first.

I have my pasture about 15 mile south of Greenville. The lady that own the land said the Mexican Buzzards were really bad about 10 years ago but the ranchers finally killed enough of them that the others left. I've noticed they started coming back last year. Truly a scarry sight when calving is happening. Just keep your 22 close at hand!

[email protected]

woowoo (twirling finger). Both of ya yuppies would fit right in with the San Francisco crowd!

> Your writing is far more elequent
> than mine, and your point is
> expressed well.. All life deserve
> a chance.. Alf...

Latest posts