Horns

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was wondering what people could tell me about dehorning. I want to get my 31 month old Jersey heifers dehorned because one keeps bossing the other. What's the best method. Emilee's in calf and Honey gets in calf in June. Thanks, Jo

[email protected]

Probably the best you can do is to just "tip" the horns and make them blunt. One of them will always boss the other.

dun

> I was wondering what people could
> tell me about dehorning. I want to
> get my 31 month old Jersey heifers
> dehorned because one keeps bossing
> the other. What's the best method.
> Emilee's in calf and Honey gets in
> calf in June. Thanks, Jo

I try to take them down to the skin because I feed in bunkers and I have had stub horns to get hung up.If you take them completely off expect lots of blood.Get some pine tar and rub on the wound very liberal.If you want to just tip them off not really a big deal.There is nothing more aggravating than a mean cow with horns!

[email protected]

I would say, if you want her head to look nice, a cosmetic dehord would be best, this involves some head shaping, or you could just scoop and burn, and hope for the best, but an animal that old, I would really lean towards cosmetic dehorning, to reduce the chance of infection, as the sinus cavity will be exposed for too great a period with plain scooping even if you did a good burn to carterize the open flesh.

[email protected]

Hello, A proper full dehorning is the best thing for your cows. A pushy, bossy cow isn't fun or safe as a pet or production animal, especially when they have horns. Remember though it might take them a long time to "forget" that they don't have those horns anymore. Michelle is right a cosmetic dehorn by your veterinarian would look the nicest, it is more expensive than a standard dehorn because the animal usually gets nerve blocks, a skin incision is made around each horn, the horn is surgically removed, there is an attempt to make the poll symmetric, and the skin is sutured closed. There are other ways that vets can dehorn your cow and by using local anesthetic nerve blocks the pain is reduced and it is much easier. It is always easiest and safest to dehorn them as calves. Good Luck

> I was wondering what people could
> tell me about dehorning. I want to
> get my 31 month old Jersey heifers
> dehorned because one keeps bossing
> the other. What's the best method.
> Emilee's in calf and Honey gets in
> calf in June. Thanks, Jo

[email protected]