Horns

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
Here's a few pics for you horn guys. Thought you'd like to see some of our bigger horned ladies.

CP Miss Libby (World Grand Champion Mature Female) in the front, Cherry (1985 Texas Champ daughter, that is still in production)
Libby_Cherry1.JPG

Here is a Diego's Hot Shot daughter, goes back to Texas Champ and Y.O. breeding on bottom
DSC00153.JPG

Here is a '99 model cow that we raised. Her sire was a G-Man son and her dam is the Cherry cow in the top picture.
sugarbear1.JPG

As for body, I would say all weigh around 1100-1200lbs...roughly.

Well?

Ryan

bubchub":1j03qly3 said:
Great pics and cows. Would you mind sending me some of that grass?

I would love to send you some of the grass, if we had any. Doesnt look near as good around here as in those pictures.

rancherswife":1j03qly3 said:
WOW them are some purty girls!!!

What the heck is that green stuff they are standing on??? :lol:

That was grass. Back when we had some, around May, I think.

I'm not a much of a gourmet, so I'm curious how you prepare horn to make it palatable

dun

dun":3jerepo8 said:
I'm not a much of a gourmet, so I'm curious how you prepare horn to make it palatable

dun

You don't actually eat the horns, silly! The horns just make the meat taste better. :lol:

Kent":1rf475la said:
dun":1rf475la said:

dun

You don't actually eat the horns, silly! The horns just make the meat taste better. :lol:

Thats right... the horns increase the palatability.

Actually, that is one of the arguements I use when people ask why horns are not a big factor in my selection criteria. Horns, althought they are apart of their history, have no affect on meat quality or quantity or the ability to raise a calf.

Ryan

p.s. thanks for the comments on the cows.

I'm not 'into' the horns, the cows are well conformed compared to most Longhorns I have seen to date. Always nice to see improved adapted breeds without resorting to crossbreeding.