horns growing in head

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have just bought a cow and found the tips of her horns have grown into her head. It is very hot now and I don't want to totally remove the horns until fall. Can I tip the ends of the horns with a hand saw and remove the tips from her head, then treat the sores in her head? Any ideas or experiences?

[email protected]

Vets now have a wire that cuts the horn off with very little or no bleeding. It doesn't even seem to hurt the cow. Takes about 30 seconds. You can even do it yourself.. The wire is a very fine saw...just pull it back and forth across the norn hear the head...saw would be too hard and would cause bleeding...

>

I have just bought a cow and found
> the tips of her horns have grown
> into her head. It is very hot now
> and I don't want to totally remove
> the horns until fall. Can I tip
> the ends of the horns with a hand
> saw and remove the tips from her
> head, then treat the sores in her
> head? Any ideas or experiences?

[email protected]

Whether you use a wire, a hand saw, or whatever, the main thing is to get it done ASAP. It will eventually kill her and she will do a lot of hurting in the meantime.

Craig-TX

I guess this is a dumb question of mine...but... "Why did you buy a cow with tips of horns growing into her head?" Second question: "What kind of cow is it?" Third question: "Weren't there any other non-'deformed' cows where you bought this one?"

[email protected]