Horns and the Sale Yard

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a small herd of reg. Polled Herefords, I have in the past sold extra calves to freinds and neighbors. But at the current prices I'll now do better to haul them to the sale yard. Regarding horned cattle at the sale yard, I have heard it both ways, horns will bring down the price a little and the buyers sell the horns so it doesn't effect the price. The horns are only about 4 to 5 inches long on this 8 month old steer. Your thoughts or experience?

I have one steer that has horns, not scurres, he was lucky enough to pick up both recessive genes from the bull and cow.

Thanks
Alan

I'd cut them off. My experience is that buyers look for any excuse to dock your animals. Horns always lose you some. Even horns that are not properly cut usually gets you docked.

The "meats all pink inside" regardless of the outside appearance and color. Too bad the sale barns and others don't understand that "normal" people don't eat horns....so, horns or not..."meats all pink inside." LOL.

Feedlots don't like horns because they can cause bruising which lowers the value of the carcass. The meat may all be pink, but the bruise is not saleable meat.

dun

Running Arrow Bill":2att7bxv said:
The "meats all pink inside" regardless of the outside appearance and color. Too bad the sale barns and others don't understand that "normal" people don't eat horns....so, horns or not..."meats all pink inside." LOL.

dun":1i4jl7ke said:
Feedlots don't like horns because they can cause bruising which lowers the value of the carcass. The meat may all be pink, but the bruise is not saleable meat.

dun

Running Arrow Bill":1i4jl7ke said:

dun's right. most meat is "all pink inside".........except the meat that has been bruised or damaged by other cattle with horns pushing for feed bunk space or just messing around! horned cattle at the auction can be and are discounted for a reason.

Latest posts