Horned or Polled

Help Support CattleToday:

bob g

Reaction score
I am considering buying some Hereford bulls for a set of Angus cows....
I recently heard that the knock on Polled Herfords is a narrow rump...then I was told by another person that was not true, that the Horned Herefords would get me narrow rumps.
Is all this just a bunch of bull-loney?

Breed them to a polled herf. If you dont you will get horns later on.

You can get good and bad bulls of each. The polled have come a long way and you CAN find something with a butt on it. Just have to look. You have a breeder close to you I think.

bob g":yi3oj6d6 said:
I recently heard that the knock on Polled Herfords is a narrow rump...then I was told by another person that was not true, that the Horned Herefords would get me narrow rumps.

Do what you want - first generation is polled anyways.

Too many stories - we raise HH and others raise polled - getting tired of the knocking on any animal with horns - most cattle in the world have them anyways - they are not like syphillus - it is not a disease - they are not dangerous and they are not all the trouble they are hacked up to be.

Some countries in the world do not ever cut them off - for religious or cultural reasons. Yes, these are countries that also eat them.

Find your breeder and stop listening to your friends about what has or has not got a butt - they sound like they are a bunch idiots that know as much about bulls as they do about why the sky is blue.

Time for you to ignore your friends and do your homework - and time for them to get an education.

Regards

Bez+

I know next to nothing about Herefords, never had one on the place. However, I would recommend going polled. I respect you Bez but horns are a pain, trust me I have Holsteins. If you can avoid introducing horns, DO. It is a big hassle removing horns not to mention the problems with flies, infection, etc etc. Contrary to what Bez says, I would argue that horns do cause problems when left intact. I have a couple Holsteins that for one reason or another have horns and they are constantly using them to hook herdmates. I've been introduced some polled bulls to my herd but it is next to impossible to remove all horn genes from a herd. Just my 2 cents.

If you can avoid introducing horns, DO. It is a big hassle removing horns not to mention the problems with flies, infection, etc etc. Contrary to what Bez says, I would argue that horns do cause problems when left intact.

This is why people are afraid of horns. I guess most are hobby farmers like me. But I have left the horns on a few and have also dehorned. If you follow Bez's advice they can be weaned and dehorned with little or no stress and continiue to grow and never miss a beat.

bob g":tk8df8ac said:

I suggested a polled bull because I figured like most ,you will get one anyway regardless of quality. So get a GOOD polled bull and be happy

Follow Bez's advice and use YOUR eyes and brain and make your own choice. I have learned that if you ask 10 people they will give you ten different answers.

Good day.

novaman":3da14rx6 said:
I know next to nothing about Herefords, never had one on the place. However, I would recommend going polled. I respect you Bez but horns are a pain, trust me I have Holsteins. If you can avoid introducing horns, DO. It is a big hassle removing horns not to mention the problems with flies, infection, etc etc. Contrary to what Bez says, I would argue that horns do cause problems when left intact. I have a couple Holsteins that for one reason or another have horns and they are constantly using them to hook herdmates. I've been introduced some polled bulls to my herd but it is next to impossible to remove all horn genes from a herd. Just my 2 cents.

15 minutes or less with a wood or hoof rasp and I can take those horns on any yearling and train / turn them down - one time shot and done for life - there will be no more hooking when they grow up - only time folks run into trouble is when they leave them alone - the horns naturally grow up and out.

Or I could do an even prettier job with weights - but most folks have lost that art as well.

I could give your entire up and coming Holstein herd the start of a classic Herf look in an afternoon. 8)

If the horns are no longer growing / slowed right down - it is a waste of time - cut them off.

Unless you have more than 100 - then it would take me a couple days - long ones but it could be done.

Problem with adults is solved - forever.

Hobby folks and small holders: Should cut them off - they are not as competent (no slur intended) - use lidocaine - about 8 - 10 cc's to a side and they will chew their cud while you do it - use a wire saw - then take out the veins with a hemostat - burn them and done - takes about the same amount of time as the file. Let the sinus close naturally - so we do it in cool or cold weather for fly protection. Properly done the animal will not feel a thing and not lose one days worth of growth.

Improperly done it is set back for about two weeks. About 30 pounds of gain - or more can be lost - far cheaper in the long run to do it right - which most will not do as they figure it too expensive. Short term gain for long term pain is what it comes to. Do the math.

But the tough guys figure what the hhell and do it anyways.

In fact I believe almost all hobby folks should have a veterinarian do it - too much trouble can be had if you are a newbie. Which is why I hate it when someone comes on and asks - can I use my SkilSaw to cut off Petunia's Horns. You would not treat your dog in this manner - why is it acceptable to do it to a cow? (I know - almost a hijack)

Just because it was once done with loppers does not mean we cannot change - makes us look better to the PETA and SPCA folks as well.

Anyways - Herfs look better in tradtional form - pointed heads make them look like white faced dunces.

Each to their own

Cheers and best to all

Bez+

Bob I thnk that it all depends on what you're planning to do with the resulting calf crop. Do you plan on retaining any females from the cross? If you do, are you going to bred them back to an angus or homo polled bull? If you're going to do it that way then the calves carrying a horn gene wouldn't matter because you're breeding them back homo polled...I agree that there are some great horned cattle out there though. I really like the L1s myself and do intend in the future to use some horned bulls and keep some heifers from them. There are also great polled bulls out there aswell though if you look hard enough. I think it all depends on what breeders are closet to you, price, and what you want to deal with as far as dehorning or not. I think there are great cattle in both varities though and whether you go horned or polled those crossbred calves won't miss a beat.

Latest posts