Horned or Polled Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

Daniel B

Reaction score
Was wondering if there is an advantage or disadvantage other than one having horns and one not. I have a small herd of Polled Herefords and have been told by older farmers around my area that when you take the horns away you are taking another trait away. Since I have heard this that got me thinking and that is never good. :???: :bang: Does anyone have any opinions on this.

I raise Polled cattle, don't have anything against the horned Herefords. I believe you can
find the traits or type you desire in either line if you look long enough.
DM

Daniel B":1k28prbq said:
Was wondering if there is an advantage or disadvantage other than one having horns and one not. I have a small herd of Polled Herefords and have been told by older farmers around my area that when you take the horns away you are taking another trait away. Since I have heard this that got me thinking and that is never good. :???: :bang: Does anyone have any opinions on this.

I am a little different in that we raise both polled and horned.I probably have more horned than I do polled. However, I have found that some of our best calves are a cross with horned and polled. We look for the best quality of a great Hereford animal no matter whether it's polled or horned.

I have noticed our bull customers are going more toward the polled bulls. I think the younger generations are trying to getaway from the dehorning of the cattle. I am part of the older generation that loves that good looking Hereford bull with those big horns. But with the polled bulls increasing their quality over the last several years it is getting where the commercial cattleman doesn't have to go through the hassle of dehorning. Therefore if they can find the quality of a polled that's where they are going.

I'd pick the best you have access to an not make horned or polled a determining factor. Single trait selection is nvr a good idea.

Thanks for the input. My power finally come back on so I can get back on the board.

Made it though fine and all the cows got a good bath with the 10+ in of rain we got. The only thing that didn't fair well was my turkey houses.