Horned Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
I would like to use Horned Hereford bulls in rotation with Angus bulls on a commercial base herd of Angus, Black baldies, and polled hereford cows. I would use Angus bulls from 1 to 2 years and then switch to a horned hereford bull, then back to Angus again, then so on. And keep gettin hereford and Angus replacements. I explain all this in my post titled Breeding Question. You can check it out it explains everything. Please give info and your incite to if this is a good idea. My question though is how you all like Horned hereford bulls in a commercial herd, and would this be good. Please give me your opinions.

Other then throwing in the wild card of horns it would work.

dun

CopeMan":37b39i4s said:
I would like to use Horned Hereford bulls in rotation with Angus bulls on a commercial base herd of Angus, Black baldies, and polled hereford cows. I would use Angus bulls from 1 to 2 years and then switch to a horned hereford bull, then back to Angus again, then so on. And keep gettin hereford and Angus replacements. I explain all this in my post titled Breeding Question. You can check it out it explains everything. Please give info and your incite to if this is a good idea. My question though is how you all like Horned hereford bulls in a commercial herd, and would this be good. Please give me your opinions.

It gives you a genetic jump on your polled Hereford cows. If you are just selling calves on the market, and aren't worried about horns cropping out later, the calves will mostly be polled. You could always go back to polled or Angus bulls on replacement heifers out of horned bulls.

CopeMan":c9fhwmha said:

What do you think would be gained by using horned Herefords over staying with Polled Herefords?

dun

Caustic Burno":2fcatrh7 said:
dun":2fcatrh7 said:
What do you think would be gained by using horned Herefords over staying with Polled Herefords?

dun

Duh, Horns

The point is, there would have to be a perceived benefit to using a horned Hereford. What would that perception be?

dun

dun":24xlu0ti said:
CopeMan":24xlu0ti said:

dun

There is a genetic kick from crossing horned and polled bloodlines.

greenwillowherefords":1n3sspwi said:
dun":1n3sspwi said:
CopeMan":1n3sspwi said:

dun

The heterosis would be minimal, about like crossing Red and black Angus. You're getting back into so much combining genes that just individual differences would probably pretty much cover the advantage. If both lines are linebred for many generations maybe it would be worthwhile, but generic Polled crossed to generic horned wouldn't do much. Just my opinion. Probably would do more by throwing in Galloway, Shorthorn, etc if british is desired.

dun

Campground Cattle":2unl0mja said:
certherfbeef":2unl0mja said:
Txag will argue this one but, my horned herfs are thicker than my polled

I'll argue get a tape

:D Go right ahead, my point will be proven at my place. But prob not at yours or txag's! ;-) It boils down to a matter of opinion.

certherfbeef":m3kfrd3r said:
Campground Cattle":m3kfrd3r said:
certherfbeef":m3kfrd3r said:
Txag will argue this one but, my horned herfs are thicker than my polled

I'll argue get a tape

:D Go right ahead, my point will be proven at my place. But prob not at yours or txag's! ;-) It boils down to a matter of opinion.

yep, i'll take that argument. when you bring your calves down for ft worth, we'll check it out :lol:

dun":2uihhine said:
greenwillowherefords":2uihhine said:
dun":2uihhine said:
CopeMan":2uihhine said:

dun

The heterosis would be minimal, about like crossing Red and black Angus. You're getting back into so much combining genes that just individual differences would probably pretty much cover the advantage. If both lines are linebred for many generations maybe it would be worthwhile, but generic Polled crossed to generic horned wouldn't do much. Just my opinion. Probably would do more by throwing in Galloway, Shorthorn, etc if british is desired.

dun
Point #1, you could still maintain a straight Hereford herd as one of your gene pools, while getting at least some genetic kick doing it.
Also, I have crossed two linebred individuals, one polled, one horned, with very satisfactory results.

I think there are polled Herefords out there, probably Braxton Giant for one, which are as good as any horned Hereford. I also believe that the selection of really good horned Herefords is broader, because they have had more years of multi-trait selection, whereas the polled folks had to take time out to develop the polled trait. I believe this is especially true of cattle that are affordable to the common man, that is, there is a wider selection of exceptional quality horned Herefords available in the price range that a small commercial breeder can afford. I also am not willing to throw away a vast gene pool of quality just because they have horns. Furthermore, I believe there has been less dipping into other breeds' gene pools on the sly to quickly reach some show fad of the moment among the horned crowd.

I may be the only person on this board who believes this, but I further believe that horns are an asset in certain rugged environments. What could be just a glancing blow to a wild dog from a polled head could be a killing thrust with a horn!

Dun, I say all this in a spirit of goodwill and discussion, so please don't take this as a mean-spirited disagreement.

greenwillowherefords":3r2gdx92 said:
Furthermore, I believe there has been less dipping into other breeds' gene pools on the sly to quickly reach some show fad of the moment among the horned crowd.
And what other breeds' gene pools do you think the Polled breeders have been dipping into?

greenwillowherefords":2xq3up5d said:
dun":2xq3up5d said:
greenwillowherefords":2xq3up5d said:
dun":2xq3up5d said:
CopeMan":2xq3up5d said:

dun

dun
Point #1, you could still maintain a straight Hereford herd as one of your gene pools, while getting at least some genetic kick doing it.
Also, I have crossed two linebred individuals, one polled, one horned, with very satisfactory results.

I think there are polled Herefords out there, probably Braxton Giant for one, which are as good as any horned Hereford. I also believe that the selection of really good horned Herefords is broader, because they have had more years of multi-trait selection, whereas the polled folks had to take time out to develop the polled trait. I believe this is especially true of cattle that are affordable to the common man, that is, there is a wider selection of exceptional quality horned Herefords available in the price range that a small commercial breeder can afford. I also am not willing to throw away a vast gene pool of quality just because they have horns. Furthermore, I believe there has been less dipping into other breeds' gene pools on the sly to quickly reach some show fad of the moment among the horned crowd.

I may be the only person on this board who believes this, but I further believe that horns are an asset in certain rugged environments. What could be just a glancing blow to a wild dog from a polled head could be a killing thrust with a horn!

Dun, I say all this in a spirit of goodwill and discussion, so please don't take this as a mean-spirited disagreement.

I haven't been dipping I won't argue some of the big money boys haven't with some of them Simm looking Herefords.

Texan":2jyrjub5 said:
greenwillowherefords":2jyrjub5 said:
Furthermore, I believe there has been less dipping into other breeds' gene pools on the sly to quickly reach some show fad of the moment among the horned crowd.
And what other breeds' gene pools do you think the Polled breeders have been dipping into?

Sim and Lim. There was a scourge of it in the early eighties I have been told. I make no accusations, just some oldtimers talked to me. Show fads have done much to harm all breeds over the years. Gutless wonders.... the list goes on and on...... the short dumps......

greenwillowherefords":3kj9fcp4 said:
Texan":3kj9fcp4 said:
greenwillowherefords":3kj9fcp4 said:

Sim and Lim. There was a scourge of it in the early eighties I have been told. I make no accusations, just some oldtimers talked to me. Show fads have done much to harm all breeds over the years. Gutless wonders.... the list goes on and on...... the short dumps......

Agree about show cattle have damaged the breeds.

greenwillowherefords":3snaqf3c said:
Sim and Lim. There was a scourge of it in the early eighties I have been told. I make no accusations.....
If you're gonna repeat something that you've "been told" by posting it on here, I think you should get credit for making the accusation. Isn't that fair?

And on the Sims and Lims, do you think they had access to polled ones back in the early eighties? 'Cause otherwise it looks like they would have been losing ground on their most important trait. You sure it wasn't the horned breeders doing that? In fact, are you sure this is a subject that you want to get deeper into?

Texan":1rwpdh12 said:
greenwillowherefords":1rwpdh12 said:
Sim and Lim. There was a scourge of it in the early eighties I have been told. I make no accusations.....
If you're gonna repeat something that you've "been told" by posting it on here, I think you should get credit for making the accusation. Isn't that fair?

And on the Sims and Lims, do you think they had access to polled ones back in the early eighties? 'Cause otherwise it looks like they would have been losing ground on their most important trait. You sure it wasn't the horned breeders doing that? In fact, are you sure this is a subject that you want to get deeper into?

Texan thats hard but true, I would lean towards the horns just due to the fact, the horned guys were trying to get polled and black with Angus. You know them black simms lims started poping up

Latest posts