horned hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie":3927zbhn said:
Run whatever type of cattle you want...but where I run cattle lets just say ...I don,t ranch in Disney Land. It takes tough cattle to survive here.Furthermore it is a lot easier for me to find easy keeping Horned Herefords, than the polled in this area. That being said I did like that bull calf of Txags, think he was polled.

And horns make them tough?

dun

I passed up an opportunity to graze in Disneyland. Disney has a lot of vacant land, I guess for future expansion and much of it is being leased for grazing. That would put me an hour away from my cows though so I passed.

Bez":3o6ncxk0 said:
frenchie

Run whatever type of cattle you want...but where I run cattle lets just say ...I don,t ranch in Disney Land. It takes tough cattle to survive here.

Would you care to make your opinion a bit clearer?

:D :D

Bez

Furthermore it is a lot easier for me to find easy keeping Horned Herefords, than the polled in this area.

Quite simply a lot of polled herefords I have seen are pencil gutted, legs like a horse.Hard hard keeping. I do realize that there are some really good polled herefords out there. But I,m not travelling 400 miles to buy bulls.

Is that clear enough.

dun":1mnq7gub said:
frenchie":1mnq7gub said:
Run whatever type of cattle you want...but where I run cattle lets just say ...I don,t ranch in Disney Land. It takes tough cattle to survive here.Furthermore it is a lot easier for me to find easy keeping Horned Herefords, than the polled in this area. That being said I did like that bull calf of Txags, think he was polled.

dun

Horns can be a good thing when it comes to wolves or coyotes..

IT at least gives my cows a fighting chance.

2 leases over the man lost 23 calves out of 108 cows to predators.

D.R. Cattle":119bje8q said:
I passed up an opportunity to graze in Disneyland. Disney has a lot of vacant land, I guess for future expansion and much of it is being leased for grazing. That would put me an hour away from my cows though so I passed.

So were Micky, Pluto, and Goofy included in the deal as fencing crew. :lol: :lol:

frenchie":bmp8h66i said:
dun":bmp8h66i said:
frenchie":bmp8h66i said:

dun

We don't have a wolf problem, just feral dogs. But a hard head, hoofs and a cow that knows how and is willing to use them sure does a thorogh job.

dun

Frenchie,

You are fighting a loseing battle here. You and Bez love your horns. Get along with them just fine. But you are never going to convince anyone that doesn't choose to run horned callte to go that route. And it works the other way too. No one is going to convince you that a polled animal will make it in your country.

It is all personal preference. And as long as the cattle perform the way you want them to and you like the looks of them...well, more power to ya!!

Bez":1c0111x9 said:
Any horned animal here gets "sharply" dehorned. Curious as to why you would routinely run horned cattle and "always cut them off at around 2 - 3 inches long". Do the horned cattle (HH) have such superior beef genetics? If not, why not phase into a polled operation and quit messing with the stressful dehorning? Just curious?

Well, I like the look of those nicely turned down horns. I only cut the horns off of those going to market - the rest get to keep them.

Some would say that HH have "different and perhaps better" genetics - but then we would get into another discussion topic.

I often wonder why the thought that horns are bad.

Every breeder on this place has a set of horns - some are pretty big if I might say. I just deal with them and do not worry about it.

Just something to grab on to when necessary.

Lots of HH on the flat lands and getting to be more in my part of the world.

Bez

I've got to agree. Those turned down horns on a white face do make an attractive animal. I just don't like messing with horns.

frenchie":pgnrijcu said:
D.R. Cattle":pgnrijcu said:

So were Micky, Pluto, and Goofy included in the deal as fencing crew. :lol: :lol:

I never made it that far, but in many cases the landowner prefers to do the fencing on their dime. Seeing as how there is so much liability, especially with a dirt poor guy like Disney. Pluto and Goofy probably would've been alright but that Mickey would have gotten his arse kicked before the fence was done.

Muratic":pzz7nv5a said:
Frenchie,

You are fighting a loseing battle here. You and Bez love your horns. Get along with them just fine. But you are never going to convince anyone that doesn't choose to run horned callte to go that route.

It is all personal preference. And as long as the cattle perform the way you want them to and you like the looks of them...well, more power to ya!!

I am not trying to convince anyone to run horned cattle... it just works for.. my situation.

The point I was trying to make is everyones situation is different....

No one is going to convince you that a polled animal will make it in your country.

You got it wrong I don,t think polled herefords would make it over on the lease.why because the ones I have seen Canada in the last few yrs...have the wrong body type..

Btw I also like and have quite a few black angus ,black baldies etc as well.

dun":ob49vlj5 said:
frenchie":ob49vlj5 said:
dun":ob49vlj5 said:
frenchie":ob49vlj5 said:

dun

We don't have a wolf problem, just feral dogs. But a hard head, hoofs and a cow that knows how and is willing to use them sure does a thorogh job.

dun

Kind of hard to compare wolves to feral dogs....What I like :D , sometimes dislike about my cows is that if something( sometimes me) :( grabs a calf. Every cow in the herd is after it.

I have used the paste dehorner in the past with a few problems. I only used it on bucket calves. I certainly would not use it on calves that are on a cow. The stuff would burn a hole in a battleship. If the calves rubbed some of the paste off on the cow (read that her udder) it will burn a hole in her. I had a calf that managed to rub some on his own ear. The outside edge of the ear remained there but there was a silver dollar size hole in the middle of the ear. Burning horns off works so much better and it actually takes me less time.
Dave

frenchie:

So where are you getting your bulls? I know that Hays Herefords over by Pipestone have pretty nice bulls. I've never been to their place but I got a neighbor who uses alot of their bulls on his cow herd. If you are looking for a good polled hereford breeder, you might want to talk to Bobby Thompson over by Miami. I used to groom his bulls for him when I was a kid and he was a well established bull breeder by then. I had one of his bulls a couple of years ago. He was a touch tall but had lots of depth and threw really nice calves with lots of big butts all the way through. They seemed to gain real well too. Bobby is really focused on CE instead of BW so the calves are a little bigger but still have no problems.[/quote]

Have bought from a few from Hays.Also from Melynk bros..and several from the Regina bull sale.

thanks for the note about Bobby Thompson..will check him out.

Latest posts