Horned Hereford Pics Uruguay

Help Support CattleToday:

alacattleman":1rsginz5 said:
BARNSCOOP":1rsginz5 said:
I am with you!! I would love one of those guys in my pasture....horns or no horns! There is something regal, stately, and down right beautiful about seeing outstanding cattle. Seems America messes up alot of things trying to make it "Better" or "Bigger". We just aren't as selective as we should be or maybe just unskilled.
I don't thinks so, right the opposite. we have all the knowledge anyone needs at out desposal,,,, we just dont know when too freakin stop..

:clap: :clap: :clap: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Don't be too hard on yourselves. You people still have a lot of good cattle. It has been a shame some of the Australians raced over there and grabbed any type of cattle at the expense of structure and doing ability,temperament etc. Herefords,Brahmans,Angus and South Devon have all been affected by US imports ,but some of these breeds have benefitted from some US infusion.
Colin

Herefords,Brahmans,Angus and South Devon have all been affected by US imports ,but some of these breeds have benefitted from some US infusion.

I agree completely, its not as if the rest of the world didn't follow the fashion whims in breeding of the past. Our cattle was also too small and dumpy with too little growth and milk and its US and Canadian influence that changed that.

What's interesting to me is that the imported genetics never really produced anything great in the first generation, but if that half USA bull was used back on the original SA population the results were often outstanding.

America has been and will always be the number one. We can have better hereford bulls today, but little more, and that just because America decided to go after the Angus.

Someone once told me, we have very good herefords and very good corriedale (this sheeps are like herefords for us, we have breed them during a hundred years or more and the quality is really good), you know why Lorenzo he said?

"Because those two don't gave us too much work, we just throw them away in the farms and they do everything alone, they don't need anyone to take care of them, they reproduce, they give us good meat or good wool and they always reproduce succesfully.."

So it seems that our success breeding them was just because we are lazy :lol2:

We can find this funny, but there is some true behind these words, remeber we are not Anglo-Saxons, we are Latins :mrgreen: , for me, the land and the noble Hereford's have done most of the hard work by themselves, this says a LOT about them.

L

Sorry for not answering all the questions before, again, I was traveling around the country,

The bull's blood lines are

Bull Ped. 7631 - Ceibal 7114-19
Born 27/09/05

Grand father: Ped. 1136 - G.M.Duke10
Father : Ped. 7114 - Ceibal 1136-97
Grand mother: Ped. 6577 - Ruth52

Grand Father: Ped. 1964 - G.M.Advance 9012-5
Mother : Ped 7032 - Ceibal 1964-28
Grand Mother: Ped 6670 - Blushrose 59

Regards
L

Knersie your quote sums it up aptly about the need to lift the size. Yes the first cross of US did not much, but as time went on that little infusion did help.The biggest problem has been that some breeders wanted to replicate an American herd here in Australia. It just doesn't work. The same is happening with the Brahman breed. Its very hard to get a solely Australian Brahman herd thats why I'm getting back into the Australian bloodlines.
Lorenzo I to like the Corriedale sheep. They are very hardy.
Colin

1848":1vlwbier said:
I'm with JHH. Would like to see some more information other then pictures to qualify them. How old are these bulls before they are being exposed to the herds. Are they backgrounded to a certain age? What quality calves are they passing on, and how easy are the calves coming. BW's, Females (any in production?). Any "actual" carcass data on them or their offspring? Line bred animals?

Just had a few questions..... :)

JHH":1vlwbier said:
Very good bulls. I would like to know more about the age of them and the feed program ( grass only?)
and actual birthweights of the bulls and then see some daughters.Thanks JHH

Almost forgot frame size also thanks

Would still like to hear frame size, Grass only feed? and weight at one year or about.Thanks

KNERSIE":i4zifadf said:
That doesn't surprise me in the least. Its the same here in SA, all the feedlot testing in the world can never replace testing in the environment on the forage the cattle are suppose to work in.

The older English genetics worked quite well here, but sadly, with the exception of a precious few herds, the newer English genetics are tall gutless wonders, typical of 1980s USA herefords when the race for frame was at its heyday.

The 133 traditional Herefords on the Laverstoke estate, represent 20% of the remaining unadulterated traditional British Herefords, while the preservation of the gene pool is important for a reference point for modern breeders to tap into, the actual gene pool is now rather narrow. I will get some pctures of a larger group of Herefords and Angus for interest. Both herds are grass fed, with hay in winter, strictly no cereals!

Latest posts