Horned Hereford bull pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Here are some pictures taken today of our Horned Hereford bull I bought last spring. I have a bunch of pictures of his calves that I will try and add in a bit here. What do you think? :cboy:

P1010063.jpg

P1010062.jpg

P1010064.jpg

This is a picture of him in the the sale catalog when I bought him.

bull3.jpg

I like his length. His head looks like a nice small size. Good color around his eyes.
He looks well muscled.
I would like to see a frontal picture though.

Looks to be an all around good bull......this may sound kind-a funny but I don't like his head. He kinda looks like a buffalo from the neck up.

Nice looking bull. Someone else likes the horned herfs besides me?

What kind of B.W. are you getting on the calves?

JHH

thats a heck of a nice horned hereford bull.i like his weaning weight.i bet his momma did that on just grass an hay.an that he wasnt creeped.

I agree with greenwillow, he's a solid bull. I think he could stand to be a little deeper ribbed and possibly a little bit more hindquarter muscle to be on his way towards ideal, but I like him. The real test is his offspring. Got any pictures of them?

JHH":37dxvlyr said:
Nice looking bull. Someone else likes the horned herfs besides me?

What kind of B.W. are you getting on the calves?

JHH

Amazing eh? Don't think I'll ever go back to Polled. I am sold. Average BW on bulls and heifers is 92 lbs, ranging from about 70 to 110, with most 85-105 lbs

TNMasterBeefProducer":37dxvlyr said:
Only thing I can fault him on is his pretty crappy weaning weight.

His weaning is fine for us on grass. We don't sell calves and don't base profitability on weaning weights. Our average weaning weight on April and May spring calves in October is 500 lbs.

bigbull338":37dxvlyr said:
thats a heck of a nice horned hereford bull.i like his weaning weight.i bet his momma did that on just grass an hay.an that he wasnt creeped.

That's right. No creep. All grass. I don't know anybody around here who creeps anymore. We could never pencil it in.

Here are some pictures of his calves. We have about 25 of his on the ground this spring, more to come in fall.

HEIFER CALVES (Roughly oldest to youngest, youngest is a month and few days old)

P1010056.jpg

P1010060.jpg

P1010082.jpg

P1010077.jpg

BULL CALVES (Again oldest to youngest, with oldest being the oldest calf, period, about 3 months old off a 1st calf heifer)

P1010084.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P1010073.jpg

P1010093.jpg

What are your opinions of the last 3 bull calves? They are my bull prospects.

man that bull passes his breeding on to his calves.i like the looks of both the heifer an bull calves.all 3 of the bull calves look like keepers to me.but to really tell id have to see pics of them at weaning time.

As I was scrolling through the pics I liked the first bull calf and as I went I thought I hope he cuts the rest and then I saw they were your bull prospects. I just don't think they have enough guts to them right now, but that can change day to day. JMO

I like the bull but will reserve my opinion on the calves for a couple months. It's easy to get a bad picture of a calf, making them look shallower than they really are. There is a butt shot of a bull calf in the last picture that looks like he's got plenty of muscle.

iowahawkeyes":c9bt2ob3 said:
As I was scrolling through the pics I liked the first bull calf and as I went I thought I hope he cuts the rest and then I saw they were your bull prospects. I just don't think they have enough guts to them right now, but that can change day to day. JMO

I noticed that too. When my heifer was a calf she looked similar to some of them in regards to depth. But at weaning is when she really got thick. that's why big bull is right that they will all need to be evaluated at weaning, and then probably again at the yearling period. I hope they develop a little bit more muscle in their quarters as well. Some of the heifers look pretty decent though.

The bull in my opinion doesn't have enough guts or hip to work for me. The calves appear the same way to me. If he is putting up good weaning weights more power to you, but I don't think I would keep replacements out of him. Just my opinion

Latest posts