horn weights

Help Support CattleToday:

All I wanted to know was where I could get an extra set or two of horn weights.

And yes, I have more vet bills on the polled cows and calves than I do on the horned. As a result I end up running seperate herds. Polled get the barn in the winter with bedding. Horned rough it in the snow and seem very content. The polled when made to rough it stand all hunkered up with their behinds to the wind waiting to be rescued. While the horns are pushing snowballs and eating hay. Yes I like my herefords, horned or polled. I don't have to worry about calving problems with horned herefords. Why do you think Bez likes the horns in her harsh conditions? She explained that VERY well. They are more rugged. And like Bez, feeders that go to sale are dehorned, no deduction there. The only thing that goes to sale with horns are an old cull cow or a old bull. I currently have 3 females with a rack and 1 bull. My oldest polled cow is 6. I have 4 horned cows that are 12yrs or older. The picture I posted on another thread is of a horned heifer. Wouldn't have know that from the pic hu? Thank you for thoes of you that answered my original question. I ordered from Valley Vet...really good price.

TexasCountryWoman":z9d6cjzt said:
Question to all....Was all this jumping on this "touchy" subject of horned vs polled because it was a "personal" question or because I'm new and yall hate my posts? My paranoia may annoy ya.

The horned polled topic is just as controversial as breed, color, and anything else that people have a passion for. There's nothing personal, just that some folks easily POed.
I would put our Polled Hereford calves muscle up against anybodys horned Hereford calves. When it was decided to start selecting for polled, single trait selection was practiced. A lot of bulls that should have been cut and a lot of heifers that should have been eaten were used to propogate the breed. Good sense has overcome the majority of the problems that selecting strictly for polled had caused. Many beliefs are based on old history, old wives tales, and old BS.

dun

I can't log on, I'm using Mozilla instead of Explorer because of "the Virus" that's been all over the news, and using Mozilla, according to my sources is supposed to be okay for my computer. I think that's it. Anyway, it's been an intertaining chat. I guess one thing we will take away from this conversation is our love for our own cows. Now don't get me started on my milk goats!

TexasCountryWoman...can't log on

TCW

Mozilla should be no problem to login with. I've used it for a couple of years. The new Mozilla "stand alone" browser Firefox is even better. Smaller, quicker, free and no Explorer virus problems! :nod:

If you can see the Logout tab at the top of the page, click it and login again. Make sure you don't have the Caps Lock on, passwords are case sensitive.

Sometimes these boards remind me of the show around the hay :lol: ring. For what it is worth Ihave learned a lot from this thread. Thanks to all.

Latest posts