Horn Weights?

Help Support CattleToday:

I
She sure looks good now.
Whens she due?
How many calves are ya gonna put on her?Thank you!
I've had her since early April. I want to believe she is more playful than intentional in her behavior.

As for pecking order, she is definitely trying to find her place as a single jersey in a herd of beef cattle. Right now, her social skills are somewhere between class clown and three year old.

She's due in January.
It will be a lot faster and easier just to whack the horns off. It is called an "attitude adjustment".
She sure looks good now.
Whens she due?
How many calves are ya gonna put on her?
I'm going to try two if I can afford them, they're pushing $300 here lately!

It will be a lot faster and easier just to whack the horns off. It is called an "attitude adjustment".
Could dehorning her this late fall cause her to miscarry? I have heard that. Is it an old wives' tale? Also, how long is the recovery time?

I've had her since early April. I want to believe she is more playful than intentional in her behavior.

As for pecking order, she is definitely trying to find her place as a single jersey in a herd of beef cattle. Right now, her social skills are somewhere between class clown and three year old.

She's due in January.
Right now, she is gmterrorizing my Jenny donkey with a week old colt. I'll sell the jersey if she messes with my donkey baby. Even though I am quite fond of her, I won't tolerate her hurting a baby.

If your going to dehorn a full grown cow, just sawing them off is easy. But the right way to do it is with Keystone dehorners. It really is gruesome. Definitely not to be done in the summer.

If your going to dehorn a full grown cow, just sawing them off is easy. But the right way to do it is with Keystone dehorners. It really is gruesome. Definitely not to be done in the summer.
The sound of those things send shivers up my spine still. At this point I would tie a twine round them and leave very short stubs. Going to be some maintenance in fly prevention also.

a Calicrate bander would probably work alright, still have to watch for flies, but shouldn't be too bad.. once they fall off, or if you see any signs of flies laying eggs, apply something like Absorbine ultrashield to the area, (douse it well) then smear pine tar.

We dehorned one a long time ago and she sure fell in herd status when she had no horns, her whole fighting technique was all wrong... and she didn't have the "back scratchers" anymore.
I have a couple cows with horns, so far they seem to be OK

These two are sisters, this is the older sister, she managed to break both the tips off when she was a yearling, so she's not very menacing, and she's a really calm character
20210604_104344.jpg

Younger sister, now 3 years old... hopefully she behaves with them

20210604_104306.jpg

We dehorned a problem cow at about 6 months preg. Waited for cooler less fly problem weather. Vet tied a baling string TIGHT around the base of the horns. Used lidocaine for pain.... he and my son cut them off, he pulled the bleeders and they got packed with clean cotton ball type cotton I save from pill bottles and such at the house....then sprayed with fly spray to keep flys out. We leave the string on for 24 hours.... then the next day I run her through the chute and cut it off. I kept her around for a few days and sprayed some blue kote on ... the cotton falls out... and it heals over.
I am not a wuss but prefer to use the lidocaine so she aren't in terrible pain. They will go back to eating sooner if they are not hurting either.
The first time she went to hook someone out of her way, and there were no horns, she had the funniest look on her face....and she learned quick that she no longer could not hurt them.
Like I said, the longhorn does not seem to use hers....she grazes right along in the group.

Just cut them off and have a peaceful herd... and she can't use them on the donkeys or anything else...

Saw em off!
I just talked to my vet. He said the exact same thing. I really don't want to put her through that if I can prevent it. I'm going to give her some time, keep an eye on her, and pray she settles down. 😕

Thank you!

Could dehorning her this late fall cause her to miscarry? I have heard that. Is it an old wives' tale? Also, how long is the recovery time?
If it is an option you could wait to cooler weather. But if she gets too rambunctious go ahead and dehorner her.
Never known of one loosing a calf from dehorning.

We dehorned a problem cow at about 6 months preg. Waited for cooler less fly problem weather. Vet tied a baling string TIGHT around the base of the horns. Used lidocaine for pain.... he and my son cut them off, he pulled the bleeders and they got packed with clean cotton ball type cotton I save from pill bottles and such at the house....then sprayed with fly spray to keep flys out. We leave the string on for 24 hours.... then the next day I run her through the chute and cut it off. I kept her around for a few days and sprayed some blue kote on ... the cotton falls out... and it heals over.
I am not a wuss but prefer to use the lidocaine so she aren't in terrible pain. They will go back to eating sooner if they are not hurting either.
The first time she went to hook someone out of her way, and there were no horns, she had the funniest look on her face....and she learned quick that she no longer could not hurt them.
Like I said, the longhorn does not seem to use hers....she grazes right along in the group.

Just cut them off and have a peaceful herd... and she can't use them on the donkeys or anything else...
Lidocaine is just the right thing to do, both from a welfare perspective and the pocketbook. It's dirt cheap, and keeping the cow eating and reducing the risk of abortion is well worth it. I'd also recommend an NSAID (banamine, meloxicam). Lidocaine wears off in 90 minutes. NSAIDs will provide some pain control for a couple days, and they're cheap, too.

Lidocaine is just the right thing to do, both from a welfare perspective and the pocketbook. It's dirt cheap, and keeping the cow eating and reducing the risk of abortion is well worth it. I'd also recommend an NSAID (banamine, meloxicam). Lidocaine wears off in 90 minutes. NSAIDs will provide some pain control for a couple days, and they're cheap, too.
And using an Immobilizer keep them from getting so excited.

I always thought Banamine was an anticoagulant? Wouldn't that be counter productive when dehorning?
The impact of banamine on a bleeding horn is going to be negligible, if anything. It is bad if the animal has a bleeding GI ulcer, though.

Latest posts