horn tipping?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How much horn can you cut off without getting into bone or blood? I have heard that you can take off a couple of inches without hurting them. I think they call this horn-tipping, but not sure. I don't want to completely de-horn my cows, because of the trauma and stress it would cause them and I'm afraid the wounds might infect. What kind of tool would be best to use for this and what is the best way to do it? Thanks for any info.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1uw8pf66 said:
: Hello, if you are just wanting to remove the sharp points <br>of the horn, you can use a saw, manual or electric, the animal<br>must be restrained in some form of head catch, a squeeze chute <br>works best. Depending on the diameter of the horn you can cut <br>from 1 to 4 inches off. Even if you hit blood you can take a <br>hot iron and burn it to stop the bleeding, this is the equivalent<br>of hot shoeing a horse and does not cause pain. Dehorning is best <br>done when animals are young and does not have to be a stressful event.<br>If you like an adult cow to have horns tipping is the safest way to<br>ensure that you and other cows are not severly injurred by the sharp<br>points that can form when cattle rub themselves. It is best to use<br>the sharpest tool possible for the tipping procedure, as to increase <br>the speed of the procedure, increasing the safty for both you and the <br>cow. You can also sand the area afterwards so there are no sharp<br>edges, but this depends on the temperament of the cow and their patience.<p>Good luck, some cows tollerate this better than others.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

I find a it helpfull to place a lead in their nose & tye<br>to side of chute to help hold head still. You can<br>also tip horns(when they are desired) when they are<br> about 6-8" long. This greatly influences the horns<br> to curl down & inwards. A long handled pruining<br> shear can be used as well as an O.B. wire saw
<br>

Latest posts