horn issue

Help Support CattleToday:

skiparoo

Reaction score
Hello,
We have a cow where I work that is part of our farm animal herd. SHe has been here for 2 years and was hand raised by us. She thinks she's a sheep. She loves to go for walks and have baths. Her horns, however, have become and issue. SHe was not dehorned therefor has nice sharp pointy ones that she likes to use to push you with or scratch you with. She doesn't mean to hurt you but she does. THis worries us here because she can be pet by the public over the fence. We are worried that one day someone who is not paying attention is going to get horned and hurt. Is there anything we can put over her horns to make the less sharp? We do not want to get rid of her. Any help would be much appreciated!
THANKS IN ADVANCE

cowspider":112wayav said:
Joke?? what is funny to you?? :?:

the fact that the cow loves to go for walks and have baths and thinks she is a sheep makes you wonder if skiparoo from massachu is either joking or a little light in the loafers

1. Cut those horn off.
2. Cows are not meant to be treated like dogs on a leash.
3. Read Duns post about his neighbor.
4. Reread duns post about his neighbor.
5. Did I mention read Duns post.

Amen....trust no cow!
Could thread the horns and screw on some of those orange safety caps for rebar(just kidding)....or could cut the horns....alot of posts on shaping the horns recently could be the way to go.
DMc

1. Tie cows head securely to post. (I know you don't have a squeeze chute). :roll:
2. Take hack saw and cut left horn off 1/2 inch from head.
3. Repeat #2 on right side of head.
4. Make sure you are not wearing your best clothes.
:shock:

This has never failed in stopping cattle from using their horns.

skiparoo":2hpr0hiz said:
Hello,
We have a cow where I work that is part of our farm animal herd. SHe has been here for 2 years and was hand raised by us. She thinks she's a sheep. She loves to go for walks and have baths. Her horns, however, have become and issue. SHe was not dehorned therefor has nice sharp pointy ones that she likes to use to push you with or scratch you with. She doesn't mean to hurt you but she does. THis worries us here because she can be pet by the public over the fence. We are worried that one day someone who is not paying attention is going to get horned and hurt. Is there anything we can put over her horns to make the less sharp? We do not want to get rid of her. Any help would be much appreciated!
THANKS IN ADVANCE

Well Skiperoo - if you are not BS'ing us - this is food stock, not pet stock.

You do not take a cow for a walk. You do not give them a bath unless they are show stock.

If she uses her horns on you - take a cane or a board and use it - double handed and hard - on her head. Personally I like the fibreglass cane as they seldom break.

You can cut them off - you will be somewhat red when you are finished - be advised she will resist this.

Sell her or eat her would be my final suggestion. If you sell her you can buy another pet or replace with a miniature Hereford for your petting pleasure.

Bez'

If you want to keep her. Have her dehorned. If you don't like blood or are squemish have the vet do it. You stay at the house. I don't blame you for wanting to keep her. What breed is she?

Well thanks for the nicer replys.
I figured I would get some quick witted sarcastic remarks. This cow is one of a kind. She does like to walk on her halter through the trails and also likes to swim. She enjoys being bathed and if she were of show quality we'd show her, however, she is just a pet to us here. We have thought about dehorning her but have heard many horror stories. I'll keep searching.
Thank You

Skip,
What type of place is this where you work? Is it like a petting zoo? I'm not being sarcastic. You can get brass knobs and put them on the cows horn tips so that they aren't sharp and won't injure anyone. These are the type that folks put on oxen horns, they're decorative but also serve a purpose. I'm not exactly sure where you would find these but any place that sells show cattle accessories: halters etc. would probably have them. The other alternative would be to tip the horns, which is where you actually cut the sharp end off the horns. It would not be painful to the cow and doesn't really alter the looks much either.

rustler,
Thank you very much for your reply. I work at a small nonprofit organization that is into conserving land. The portion of land that i work on was donated to us in understanding that we'd keep "native" species of farm animals here. We raise cheviot sheep for wool that we have spun into yarn, barred rock chickens, wild turkeys, goats, and of course our cow. We normally just get a young cow keep it until age and trade it for a new one. Well Penelope never got traded and is here to stay or so we hope. I am going to get looking into your suggestion and hope i can find something. Thank You !

Skip; You need to tip them horns. A 1000 pound plus size cow can hurt you without intending too.

OK, here's what we did with our goat.

You get two tennis balls, stick them on the ends of the horns. Wrap the balls to the horns with duct tape, generously.
Not the most attractive, but it takes the point out of the horns. If I had a picture I'd post it, but she kind of looked like an alien. We gave her to someone else who needed a goat. She was nasty with those horns,mostly to the other goats, but the balls took out alot of the fun for her.

BTW we got the goat, Lucy, as an old gal, wouldn't put a mature animal through de-horning... but prefer any animal I'm going to handle to be hornless. Just my opinion.
Good luck!

Susie

Rustler9":3aavqjw9 said:
Skip,
What type of place is this where you work? Is it like a petting zoo? I'm not being sarcastic. You can get brass knobs and put them on the cows horn tips so that they aren't sharp and won't injure anyone. These are the type that folks put on oxen horns, they're decorative but also serve a purpose. I'm not exactly sure where you would find these but any place that sells show cattle accessories: halters etc. would probably have them. The other alternative would be to tip the horns, which is where you actually cut the sharp end off the horns. It would not be painful to the cow and doesn't really alter the looks much either.
Check another thread on info or do search for horn tips.Check berrybrookoxsupply,603-335-4475.Hope this helps.JHH

Latest posts