Hormone Implants

Help Support CattleToday:

LA cattle

Reaction score
Does anyone use any hormone implants in their calves? I never have but hear they add 20-25 lbs to you calf.

How much weight would you say it adds? I just watched a video on synovex grass one They had a chart showing 50 pound gains. They said it last for 200 days so you get more gains. People I have talked with also use ralgro and say it adds 20-25 pounds.

Never could make myself try them. Had several small cysts on the back of my ears and know how they are sore. Don't want to put an irritant in the calf.
If I'm wrong about that, feel free to say so.

How much weight would you say it adds? I just watched a video on synovex grass one They had a chart showing 50 pound gains. They said it last for 200 days so you get more gains. People I have talked with also use ralgro and say it adds 20-25 pounds.

Like Kenny said, 20-25 pounds is about the baseline for Synovex C and Ralgro. Calves with good genetics and feed will do even better. Some people will implant twice before weaning.

Synovex One Grass is intended more for use in stocker calves weighing at least 400 pounds; it's "hotter" than the C and Ralgro. 50 pounds or more is not an unreasonable expectation.

It's always important to make sure the calves have enough feed to perform to the level of the implant. If calves are going to be "roughing it" in a drought year or on corn fodder, Synovex One Grass is just going to make them leaner and staggy looking.

Never could make myself try them. Had several small cysts on the back of my ears and know how they are sore. Don't want to put an irritant in the calf.
If I'm wrong about that, feel free to say so.
As long as they're applied properly, I don't think they're any more irritating than an ear tag.

When my parents ran stocker calves it was part of working regimen when bringing in new calves. I never have had any implanted, because several have said not to implant heifers that might be retained for cows.

I implant all my steer calves with Ralgro when I band them near birth. They get a second dose at vaccination time. Never seen an ear problem with them. I like the results but when you do the all it's hard to give specifics. I've never kept a control group of the same calves.

I read a real good article that did a comparison a few months back because I figured if I was cutting them and all that might as well go all in. The article said basically if you weren't holding your calves after weaning there wasnt a lot of benefit from just the first one while they are on their momma. Most of the gains came from the 2nd round after weaning. It didnt suggest near the numbers yall are quoting so it has me wondering.

On the other side, I have an old school neighbor who swears by them. He is tight as can be and wouldnt spend a penny if he wasn't going to get several in return.

Both said not to give them to replacement heifers.

May have to give it a try now... #25-50 would justify it.

I implant everything except what I intend to keep. For the cost if the calf gains 2 pounds it pays for itself

Tried it once with Ralgro, didn't really see it making any impact on our calves. Having said that, we don't creep feed before weaning either.

If you don't creep feed and only have your cows on grass does it work? I know gains won't be as much but will it help any?

Latest posts