Hope this thins the hog population

Help Support CattleToday:

Warfarin is nothing but rat poison. (used on humans as blood thinner) Been buying it for years in Bar Bait. This may be a stronger or larger dose.

Caustic Burno":3gwci0do said:
TexasBred":3gwci0do said:
Warfarin is nothing but rat poison. (used on humans as blood thinner) Been buying it for years in Bar Bait. This may be a stronger or larger dose.
Can't buy the bar bait here any longer.
CB I went to buy some the other day and they said only way they would sell it was for me to buy the entire box which I think had a dozen in it. Gave me some sort of reason which I didn't really hear.

I reckon they have that warfarin dispenser rigged where only hogs can get to it. I had a dog one time ate a bag of green warfarin rat poison and had to spend the night at the vet clinic on a IV drip supplying vitamin K.

Im just glad that finally something is going to be done to help control those sorry pos's. you sure cant kill or trap enough of em to be effective. from what ive read it is restricted (you have to have a herbicide/pesticide applicators license to buy it). I just wonder how it exactly works. Do they die quickly or get sick then die? if something else eats them (a dog, hunters) do they get sick and or die? Im willing to try it myself, I just want to know more about it

crop hail":1d0dvukx said:
Im just glad that finally something is going to be done to help control those sorry pos's. you sure cant kill or trap enough of em to be effective. from what ive read it is restricted (you have to have a herbicide/pesticide applicators license to buy it). I just wonder how it exactly works. Do they die quickly or get sick then die? if something else eats them (a dog, hunters) do they get sick and or die? Im willing to try it myself, I just want to know more about it

I'll try to find the release I found, but it stated that a human would have to eat 2.2lbs of pig liver(where the warfarin would be most concentrated) to equal a single blood thinner pill. Also have seen where they are saying that the poisoned pigs will have a blueish color to the fat under the skin.

Not the link but what was in the release.

On Tuesday, the Texas Agriculture Commissioner's Office emailed CBS11 this statement:

We did not make this rule change to list warfarin as a state-limited-use pesticide without fully reviewing the data and research available on this product. Kaput Feral Hog Bait has been researched extensively and field-tested in Texas over the past decade in partnerships with various state agencies including TDA. Hogs are susceptible to warfarin toxicity, whereas humans and other animals require much higher levels of exposure to achieve toxic effects.

EPA approved Kaput Feral Hog Bait's pesticide labeling with the signal word "Caution," which is the lowest category of toxicity to humans requiring a signal word. Although the EPA did not list this product as a federal restricted-use product, we made the decision to list warfarin as a state-limited-use pesticide in Texas so that purchase and application is made only by educated, licensed pesticide applicators who have been trained specifically on the use of this product. The product may be only bought and used by licensed pesticide applicators when dispensed in specially-designed hog feeders that have weighted lids that only open from the bottom, making it difficult for other animals to be exposed to the bait.

Warfarin has been studied extensively in animals and is practically non-toxic to birds. Due to the insolubility of warfarin in water, there should be no impact to aquatic life. Non-target wildlife, livestock and domestic pets would have to ingest extremely large quantities over the course of several days to reach a toxic level of warfarin in the bloodstream. In the event of unintended exposure, the antidote, Vitamin K, can be administered by a veterinarian. In general, secondary exposure to other animals is low because the levels of warfarin in target animals are generally too low to be toxic to either a predator or scavenger.

Warfarin at 0.005 percent as a feral hog toxicant has been shown to have a low level of residue in hog meat, especially in muscle tissue, which is what humans typically consume. One person would have to eat 2.2 lbs of hog liver–where the warfarin is most concentrated in the body–to achieve the same exposure as a human would receive in one therapeutic dose of warfarin (current therapeutic levels range from 2 to 10 mg daily). Warfarin metabolizes and exits the body fairly quickly, so a hog that was trapped and fed for several days prior to processing would most likely not have any warfarin present at the time of slaughter.

In addition, hogs who have consumed the warfarin bait will have blue dye present in the fatty tissues as soon as 24 hours after ingestion. The dye builds up in the fatty tissue, so the more bait the hog has consumed, the brighter blue the tissues will be, signaling hunters that this hog has ingested the bait. Blue dye is present in the fat directly underneath the skin as well as in the fat deposits surrounding organs and in the aforementioned liver. All will take on the characteristic blue tint of the dye, which serves as a visual indicator of bait ingestion.

not worried bout by kill or any other populations tht will see a weak dying hog and tear into it....gonna be alotta dead predators too

uh huh....liver is pretty close to one of the first things eaten..the report says humans not to eat it...not fresh killed predators

Caustic Burno":35sgzg2i said:
dieselbeef":35sgzg2i said:
not worried bout by kill or any other populations tht will see a weak dying hog and tear into it....gonna be alotta dead predators too

The reason it was approved is the low secondary kill.

If it takes out a bunch of these Mexican Vultures, that would be a bonus. Two birds with one stone.

Latest posts