Hope I wasn't meddling but ..

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I saw one of my friend's sons who recently graduated from high school and got his first job working for a plantation. He was spraying some fence lines with a 100 gallon tank and a wand sprayer and it was fairly windy. I asked him what he was spraying and he told me he was spraying gramoxone aka paraquat. I asked him if he knew anything about the herbicide and he just said they told him it would kill weeds quickly. Looking at his short sleeves, lack of gloves, no breathing protection and the gramoxone dye all over his shirt I thought it best that meddle a bit to prevent a train wreck. I gave him a quick overview of what the stuff is and what it will do to your body - especially the part about it turning your lungs to leather. I read the label with him and showed him the skull and crossbones and told him that this means. I also suggested that since "they" were not going to train him it would be to his advantage to read the label himself. He said it made sense and would explain why he got sick last week after spraying it. :shock:

I hate to meddle but ..

I give you a permit to meddle anytime you see me or mine doing anything without proper gear.. Good Grief-what idjots is he working for?! :mad:

Meddle anytime you need to like that. I once saw a guy spraying pecan trees with an open tractor and no protective gear. Blowing the chemicals straight up, and coming right back down on him.

I guess I should have said something to him, but I wasn't about to go around him an what he was doing. People don't realize how dangerous some of this stuff is...

Sounds like the people running that place need to be reported to the proper authorities. They are breaking the law if they are exposing their workers to dangerous chemicals without proper protection and training.

Fred":1vd67fjn said:
Sounds like the people running that place need to be reported to the proper authorities. They are breaking the law if they are exposing their workers to dangerous chemicals without proper protection and training.

Maybe so but hopefully I made him think a little before he blindly performs his tasks. I think the fault lies on both sides.

Fred":1sqqjy2v said:

So many times, it's the idiots exposing themselves. I see it a lot more with the weekend warriors than the professionals.

you did what was right.hope the boy listened to you.i would not have sent him out todo any spraying without the right protection.

They're putting in ramps here,which envolves cutting groves in the porches..Guy doing the cutting has no mask/goggles/ear protection!!! concrete dust/NOISE! Looks like he's just over the fence,just a kid...I told Houseing,they said it's up to the contractor! Did say they'll look into it.. So now what do I do??

peg4x4":3fivzx8h said:
They're putting in ramps here,which envolves cutting groves in the porches..Guy doing the cutting has no mask/goggles/ear protection!!! concrete dust/NOISE! Looks like he's just over the fence,just a kid...I told Houseing,they said it's up to the contractor! Did say they'll look into it.. So now what do I do??
Go watch TV or read a book.

You ever tryed to nap/read/watch tv with a running jackhammer/concrete saw on the other side of the door?!

peg4x4":1v3xuyvw said:
You ever tryed to nap/read/watch tv with a running jackhammer/concrete saw on the other side of the door?!
OK. Bad advice.
Maybe go for a long ride on your machine. Go to library or book store and take a nap.
Maybe even a picture show.

Ear plugs?

I'm pretty much trapped in the house!!! EEEEEE!! They gouged a 3 inch deep by 3x3ft square hole in front of the door,so "Buzzy"can't get out.. I can navagate it with my cane or wheeled walker,but it's raining--I still have books/snax/thread/computer/TV so I shouldn't be bored..It's Sat,so don't know if they'll be back to fix it today.. Oh well,Don't have to get out until Tue..I can watch/listen to it rain,talk to everyone on the computer,
comment on the news...( watch cartoons :oops: )

Fred":2ms8anxf said:

Do you honestly think the authorities will care, or that they have the time to investigate every incident that is reported? I think not! Apparently all of us are now just dumb robots who take orders, have no commen sense, and are not smart enough to do some research as to what we are handling, is that what you're saying? I'm beginning to see why the government feels the need to intervene in every aspect of our lives - we're too dumb to be able to take care of ourselves. To my way of thinking, each of us is responsible for ourselves and better do the research to know what we are dealing with, as well as take the proper precautions - how hard is it to read/google a label? My confidence in my employer's looking out for me went straight out the window with Silkwood!

Good news. Saw him later and he told me he asked for a mask and some gloves and they had it all on site. I know the employer and he is a good guy and he does pay very well. If fault is to be had I think it should be shared between his immediate supervisor for not finding out what the boy knew and the boy for possibly overselling his abilities and knowledge. I'm leaning toward the latter. Maybe he learned something.

Latest posts