hooves

Help Support CattleToday:

d844833

Reaction score
what is the remedy for fast growing hooves. ihave already trimed
them once. i feed free choice hi mag mineral is this the cause.

d844833":3si0uomn said:
what is the remedy for fast growing hooves. ihave already trimed
them once. i feed free choice hi mag mineral is this the cause.

Too much feed is the usual cause.

this hefer is on pasture no feed only mineral. she is a registered
poled herford one of seven on an 8 acre pasture. was thinking this may be genetics.

I feed hi mag mineral also. I ain't had a problem with overgrown hooves. Did you buy or raise this calf. Sounds like it was foundered in the past.

Bama":y1bnoqni said:
I feed hi mag mineral also. I ain't had a problem with overgrown hooves. Did you buy or raise this calf. Sounds like it was foundered in the past.
Problem is definitely not related to Hi-Mag minerals. Just like bama, we've had no problems ever. In fact I've seen an improvement in hooves that I believe are in part from good Minerals.

i bought 7 heifers from a neighbor and we have talked to them about
this trouble and they have not had any trouble with hooves and they
were not on feed there. i have been told it could be a digestive problem
this heifer looks good except for hooves

Hi all,

I'm a newbie but am well experienced with trimming cattle feet :) We have to trim the whole herd at least once a year usually twice and then the showies too during prep.

Yes feed is a major reason, time of year another. Genetics yes too. Your biggest reasons though are conformation and ground type. Conformationally your heifer (i can't remember already ?? :) ) has hard feet i'd guess and you have softer ground. Also you might want to look at the areas your trimming ie heel toe etc you could be making the conformation worse ie long toe, low heels??

Really look at your bull choice when breeding - feet and legs are genetic and can be potentially difficult to improve as they rely on the whole hanging of the shoulders hips etc. Install large areas of concrete around water and feed troughs or fill your laneways with gravel - make the animal walk on rougher, harder ground.

Good Luck

Latest posts