Hooves cracked

Help Support CattleToday:

NORTH FLORIDA

Reaction score
I need some help. My horse has cracks in his front hooves, not deep but all the way up. I changed farriers and have been shoeing him for six months. The cracks are better but still there. How long do I need to keep shoes on him? Will the crack ever heal? I really don't want to shoe him forever. I'm worried about his hooves becoming tender. Any suggestions?

Cracks will not heal. They have to grow out. It may take a year until they are completely grown out.

Talk to your farrier about it. He knows what is going on with your horse's hooves. Good luck.

Tender feet shouldn't be much of a problem, a little at first maybe, maybe none, depends of the horse. You can also use a hoof suppliment, such a "Rain Maker" just brush it on the hoof. I would also put a hoof suppliment in his feed (biotin) (sp). Hooves are like finger nails, any injury has to grow out, they don't just go away, as stated before it may take a year.

Alan

Ditto to what Alan said. I brush on pine tar in the dry seasons to help with cracking, chipping, and splitting.

NORTH FLORIDA":6o02jiwa said:
Will there be problems with tenderness in a year if he stays shoed?

When (if) you pull the shoes - yes, he will be tender for a while because he has had shoes to protect his feet. It's pretty much the same scenario of you going barefoot when your feet are used to wearing shoes. How long he is tender is going to depend on the horse, his feet, your particular terrain, what you are asking him to do, and how much you are asking him to do until his feet get used to being bare.

Latest posts